Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
"Unserviceable" rifles, as sold by DCM in that period, simply meant the rifle had not been examined or tested. In most cases I read, the rifle was in good shape and mechanical condition.
ROGER that . .

Dad bought an “unserviceable” 03-A3 back then (late 50’s) . . . .

BRAND-NEW Remington . . . . .”unserviceable” ‘cause it had NO stacking swivel!!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuzniak View Post
Was able to snap a few photos of the subject rifle today: http://imgur.com/gallery/zvhvifb
Pics always help so good job. Per Poyer's book the serial number range puts the receiver at 1919 and the barrel would fall in line as one of RIA later builds.

Cannot identify the stock markings from the Pic and I am not an expert so maybe we can get some help here. You may want to post the Pic as a Cartouche question.

Can you confirm what the letters are within the upper box? Looks like first letter is a B, but not certain and it will tell us much more if verified. There are a bunch of RIA Inspection Markings that would be correct for that timeframe, but if it starts with a B then the stock has likely been replaced at some point. One that starts with a B could be a Springfield Armory or Benicia Arsenal Cartouche to start with.

I cannot find a A.A.D stamp in Poyers book, but the other A.A.?. stamps are either an Augusta Arsenal post WW2 rebuild stamp or another Springfield Armory stamp as well. We need our resident experts to chime in here.

An original stock would make a big difference in price and then there are all the other parts to verify before you really know what you have.

Not knowing what price they are asking I will tell you that the South Store has been selling quite a few of the 1903's in similar or better condition for $650.00 plus 10% tax. Apparently there are some really nice one there this week. You can watch GunBroker for sales to establish your own FMV price. If it turns out ot be a typical mix master then these would be a good baseline price to work from.

It is nice to have an early matching barrel date. I bought a 1918 SA from the South Store a few weeks ago myself. Always inspect the barrel and chamber closely, especially if you plan on shooting it as many 1903's can be dark and have heavy pitting.

Fun to try and decipher these things to see what you have and smart to do so before you buy!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 PM

AAD is an Agusta Arsenal mark, with D signifying which person who worked on the rifle.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:08 PM

E.H.D. is the original Springfield Armory inspection stamp per JB
Old 07-12-2019, 04:49 PM

More likely 1918, but RIA dates can be sort of confusing.