Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:53 PM
warrantw5 warrantw5 is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 688
Default My three A4s

I have been wanting to post these for a while. All three have perfect bores and muzzle wear less than 1.0. It was really humid today, so the metal looks foggy.

This one came in what I believe was original configuration. The stock had been totally sanded and reshaped. Too bad. I spent a while finding a good stock for it. https://imgur.com/a/CnML6F3

This one was in a replacement C stock. It now sits in a Springfield C stock. Also has an early scope. https://imgur.com/a/dyvALMJ

Just picked this one up. Itís later than the other two. The barrel, receiver and scope mount have been reparkerized. I think the front scope ring is a repro. https://imgur.com/a/GpVHZMP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2019, 08:49 PM
RedSpecial RedSpecial is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PBC, FL
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrantw5 View Post

Just picked this one up. Itís later than the other two. The barrel, receiver and scope mount have been reparkerized. I think the front scope ring is a repro. https://imgur.com/a/GpVHZMP
Do you know why there is a screw in the scope adjustments? I donít think Iíve seen that before.

Nice rifles. I like that they are all earlier serial rifles. I have one thatís a 3.40 serial but itís been through a rebuild. Everything is parkerized and the barrel was replaced. I wanted to correct it for a while and have blued parts etc but then I figured Iíd be destroying the rifles history and it would never be original anyways. So, I acknowledge the rebuild stamp with pride now.
__________________
- Neil

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:03 PM
warrantw5 warrantw5 is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 688
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpecial View Post
Do you know why there is a screw in the scope adjustments? I donít think Iíve seen that before.

Nice rifles. I like that they are all earlier serial rifles. I have one thatís a 3.40 serial but itís been through a rebuild. Everything is parkerized and the barrel was replaced. I wanted to correct it for a while and have blued parts etc but then I figured Iíd be destroying the rifles history and it would never be original anyways. So, I acknowledge the rebuild stamp with pride now.
Here is data on the screws. Thanks for the comment. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=191423
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 PM
RedSpecial RedSpecial is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PBC, FL
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrantw5 View Post
Here is data on the screws. Thanks for the comment. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=191423
Very cool, Iíve not seen the resettable scales before. Learn something new everyday. My rifle has the first generation M73B1.

Speaking of Jim Gaynor, has anyone heard from him?
__________________
- Neil

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-12-2019, 09:22 PM
warrantw5 warrantw5 is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 688
Default

He seems to be MIA.

I have an unissued M73B1 that has the screws. https://imgur.com/a/LJvxwpB
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2019, 10:22 AM
cplnorton cplnorton is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Van Wert, Ohio
Posts: 1,752
Default

I saw Jim post on some random forum, maybe a year ago and even said to him I'm glad to see you are still alive! But haven't seen him since. He was a wealth of knowledge on the A4's.

Maybe just his collecting interests have changed...

If they have, I would love to see his research passed onto someone else so it's not lost.

Last edited by cplnorton; 07-13-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-13-2019, 02:18 PM
TW56 TW56 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
I saw Jim post on some random forum, maybe a year ago and even said to him I'm glad to see you are still alive! But haven't seen him since. He was a wealth of knowledge on the A4's.

Maybe just his collecting interests have changed...

If they have, I would love to see his research passed onto someone else so it's not lost.
Any of our New Jersey members local to him?
__________________
Feedback thread;
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....highlight=TW56
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-13-2019, 09:25 PM
RedSpecial RedSpecial is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: PBC, FL
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW56 View Post
Any of our New Jersey members local to him?
Warrent, I’m sorry for hijacking your thread.

Ross, is this him?

https://obits.nj.com/obituaries/jers...312&fhid=17086

Edit, I don’t think that’s him, he posted here earlier this year:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=241755
__________________
- Neil

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!

Last edited by RedSpecial; 07-13-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Glynn863 Glynn863 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 285
Default

Nice. I have a M1903A4, S/N 34119xx, that I found on a Facebook WTS back in 2015. It had been sporterized (blued, barrel cut to 22", Fajen stock, Bushnell scope), but it still had its original A4 bolt and A4 scope base. I only paid $400 for it, and have spent more than that (obviously) restoring it. Luckily, I found a NOS 4-groove '43 barrel in the right date range. I had the CMP Custom Shop re-barrel and refinish the metal parts in the proper colors and got a decent C-stock from a forum member. I have a post reticle Weaver K2.5 on it right now, in horizontal split rings, and also a Weaver K4.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.