Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 PM

Default My 1903 build

Big thanks the everyone on this forum that helped me find parts for this. Almost all the parts came from different forum members. Itís not perfect, and would love to have member feed back/ criticism on it. I did modify the sedgley stock to fit it. I still have some final things to finish. Built it to honor my great grandfather who fought and was wounded at Meuse-Argonne In the 314th infantry 79th division

https://imgur.com/gallery/MxQe3vT
Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 PM

That is a nice gesture to your great grandfather.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 PM

Nice tribute to him, my grandfather carried the BAR during his time on Okinawa, the closest I'd get to a tribute for him would be an OOW made rifle, which would still be incredible to own.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:14 PM

Hi ARLawrence,

Works for me! You did a nice job!

It took me about 6/7 years to get the courage to fire a standard round out of my early RIA . I'm not going to get into the real or imaginary dangers.

Since I have been visiting the CMP site & better understand the problem I have fired about 50 rounds of standard ball in the rifle.
My rifle is a R I A 1909 with a 1942 barrel on it so it passed any testing done in 42. So she is 110 years old to be kind to her & myself- i'm older then dirt
She usually shoot lighter jacked loads or cast bullets to reduce wear & tear.

Best of luck with it,
broom
Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 AM

How difficult was it to build up the rifle from parts? Any special machining skills required? Your build is inspiring me to try one my self!
Old 07-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
My rifle is a R I A 1909 with a 1942 barrel on it so it passed any testing done in 42.
lol, I think the only testing done was a proof cartridge to make sure it would shoot. They were worried more about arming troops for the war we were in the middle of in 42, big difference from what would happen in peacetime I suspect.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi2Winky View Post
How difficult was it to build up the rifle from parts? Any special machining skills required? Your build is inspiring me to try one my self!
Well, iím certain that my rifle isnít safe to fire. I hand screwed the barrel onto the receiver. It really should be done by someone who knows what they are doing. All mine does is look pretty.

I put it to the back of the safe for now till i find a reasonable stock for it.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:57 PM

Hi ARL,

If you take the action out of the stock & buy or borrow a strap wrench.
(Harbor Freight about $6) The barrel will be much tighter than you could do by hand.
It will not mar the barrel while the action is mounted in a vise with card board or alum. to protect the action from the steel jaws.

Make sure you make a tag to let other's KNOW this rifle is not to be fired & attach it the trigger guard.

I hope your relations will keep it in the family through the years to come.

Be well,
broom
Old 07-18-2019, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi ARL,

If you take the action out of the stock & buy or borrow a strap wrench.
(Harbor Freight about $6) The barrel will be much tighter than you could do by hand.
It will not mar the barrel while the action is mounted in a vise with card board or alum. to protect the action from the steel jaws.

Make sure you make a tag to let other's KNOW this rifle is not to be fired & attach it the trigger guard.

I hope your relations will keep it in the family through the years to come.

Be well,
broom
Thank you broom,
The rear sight collar happened to line up just right. And the bolt closes the whole way. If I tighten it more the bolt wonít close and the sights will be canted. The barrel is tight with the bolt closed.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:42 AM

That looks great and a fitting tribute to your great grandfather. I am sure he would be proud of your efforts.

I strongly suggest that you get a gunsmith, or perhaps a member here (i bet someone would help for free if you pay postage both ways), to correctly seat your barrel. Two reasons, first is safety - you wouldn't want some unsuspecting future owner to assume this is safe, fire it, and encounter a problem. Second, with a properly seated barrel, you could take your tribute to the next level and shoot it yourself. It would be fun to enjoy all your hard work that way.

For the stock, post a "want to buy" in the classifieds here. There is likely a CMP poster who can scratch your itch.

Last edited by BSAGuy; 07-18-2019 at 05:46 AM.