Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2019, 07:52 PM

Default Smith corona no drill?

I have a SC refurbed drill rifle put together by James River. No collector value but an accurate rifle. I had thoughts of turning this into a Aforgery sniper. From my web research it seems nobody wants to drill and tap these SCs. Thought about finding a stripped Remington receiver and using all the other parts on the James River but donít know if I want to go through all that expense? I definitly donít want to bugger up an original rifle. Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 PM

Using proper techniques, it is possible to d&t hardened receivers--and all the A3s are hard. Having done a number of them, I do understand why many are reluctant to take on these projects. I suspect the worse thing you could do is to turn your receiver over to someone who tells you it will be a piece of cake. Good Shooting. ....
Old 07-09-2019, 06:32 AM

I know some smiths who won't even try on a S-C. I recently had a Remington D&T'd and the smith had to order a carbide drill and tap to get it done. He said a standard high speed drill didn't even leave a scratch on it.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 AM

A straight flute carbide drill bit could probably get through it, and would have to be used in a milling machine. Tapping might be another story. Carbide taps are risky because if they break they are difficult to remove. They can be shattered, but with a small size that can be tricky. A broken HSS tap can be removed with a carbide end mill.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:15 AM

I'm not going into details here and am certainly not suggesting that the average guy attempt a d&t on an A3. However: the receivers can be drilled and tapped with common tools if the hardened surfaces (that is: TOP AND BOTTOM) are removed, or properly annealed. There are many tricks to staying out of trouble and great care is essential or you will face the nightmare issue of broken taps. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM

I recently got around having to drill and tap my 03A3 by purchasing an S&K scope mount.

The only work/alteration required is to the stock and possibly the handguard if you intend to use it in a military configuration.

The back part of the S&K attaches to the rear sight dovetail at the rear of the receiver with a single screw clamp. The forward part of the mount is a ring which replaces the handguard ring. This ring has a screw clamp on the bottom just forward of the front guard screw.

You will need to remove a small amount of wood to fit the front ring part into the stock. This is easily done with a Dremel tool.

If you intend to use the handguard and an issue type stock, there will be some modification required for the rear of the handguard so that it fits flush to the ring part of the mount. Then, you need to come up with a clamp on the bottom of the handguard to attach it to the barrel in the area of the 1903 rear sight cutout of the stock.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to bkleinhenz Send a message via MSN to bkleinhenz

A SC action with a Redfield scope mount went last week on GB for 296.00. Chuck in Denver is the man to build your a4 clone.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkleinhenz View Post
A SC action with a Redfield scope mount went last week on GB for 296.00. Chuck in Denver is the man to build your a4 clone.
Chuck has stated in the past that he wonít D&T a SC receiver.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:18 PM

Hi Guys,

I have a S C for about 53 years. It was my first hunting rifle & STILL have it.
It has a A4 bolt, a nice custom stock & 03 trigger guard with a replacement floorplate engraved with a deer. All items low cost at the time.
Most people preferred the Remington actions at the time.

I'm sure the gunsmith is long gone. He mentioned the trick was to PROPERLY spot anneal the metal where the holes will be drilled. He did mention it was not as easy as a Remington. He charged me $ 8 a tapped hole! I never though to ask what type of heat source he used, but the finish was not affected.
I have friends that have used the S&K mount for many years.

Good Luck in any event,
broom
Old 07-12-2019, 06:32 AM

Something that I did not mention about the S&K mount is that is high enough so that (depending on the size of the scope eyepiece) you do not need to bend or alter the issue bolt of an 03A3.