Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Would like some RI 1903 help

This Thursday, my son and I are making our first trip to the Rock Island Arsenal Museum. This got me thinking about a rifle in my collection.

Years ago I received a Rock Island Arsenal Model 1903 from CMP. It is Ser# 4224XX. with a SA 10-42 barrel with a flaming bomb. The floor plate has a "B" on the rear. The safety has an "R" on the rear. The rear sight is unmarked. The front sight has an "R" on the bottom and a "0" on the blade, the bolt has an "R" where it meets the handle.

The stock had a rectangle box on the left side in front of the bolt cut out, with an "O" on the right and a partial "O"??? next to it within the box. Right behind the trigger guard is a small "44" below that is a circle "P" Below that is a small box with forms I can't make out. Just below that is a lower case "n". In front of the rear sling keeper is another lower case "n" and then a large "0".

I would like to know whatever I can about my piece of the "Rock" before I go.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to bkleinhenz Send a message via MSN to bkleinhenz

The "B" on the floor plate means it was a CMP Greek return. Does your rifle have a dark/blackish finish?
Old 07-09-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkleinhenz View Post
The "B" on the floor plate means it was a CMP Greek return. Does your rifle have a dark/blackish finish?

Yes it does
Old 07-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Joe: I tried to get into the Rock Island base a couple years ago to see the museum. There was an absurd security procedure that had resulted in a very long line and wait. I gave up. Just to advise that you may want to call ahead for info and perhaps get there before they open... Good Shooting. ....
Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM

As bkleinhenz advised, you have a CMP Greek rifle. The rifle has been refinished by the Greeks and re-assembled from thoroughly mixed parts. Some of the stock markings you describe are probably Greek markings. The receiver serial number indicates that the receiver was manufactured at Rock Island Arsenal in early 1919, but was left unfinished when post-war rifle production was terminated. The receiver was sent to Springfield Armory in 1926 for finishing and then used to replace the receiver on a low number rifle turned in for overhaul during the 1928-30 period. The original barrel was a Springfield Armory barrel dated from the 1928-30 period. Your description indicates that the rifle was overhauled and re-barreled again during WWII. Most of the "R" marked parts you describe, including the bolt, were manufactured by Remington during WWII and were probably fitted to the rifle when last overhauled by the Greeks.

May you have an interesting, informative, and pleasant visit to the museum!

J.B.

Last edited by John Beard; 07-09-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:00 PM

John, thanks so very much for all of the great information!