Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2019, 11:21 AM

Default 1903 stock fitting help please.

Hi guys, I have a 1903 / 1941 sniper clone that a friend has loaned me to work out the bugs. he could not get it to shoot very well. it has a new Criterion barrel, and a USGI c stock. the front end tension is almost nothing. I know it needs more than it has, the question is where do I need to remove wood to increase the tension ?? (pictures would help)

mostly I work on Garands, build / rebarrel, and do pretty well with those. a few pointers in the right direction would be very helpful on this 03.

Thanks,

78jeep
Old 07-13-2019, 12:16 PM

How does it do when you shoot it?

Mike
Old 07-13-2019, 12:25 PM

today, at 200 yards it started out with a 6 inch group. after the gun got hot I got down to a 2 1/4 group (5 shots) but shortly after that it went nuts again. I am assuming lack of tension is throwing my shots way off.

I was shooting 168 Amax and 178 ELD bullets. these have been known loads that have worked well in variety of rifles.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:16 PM

What do the groups look like? Just scattered? Two grouping? Stringing?

To increase tension the armoers used to shim up the rear of the receiver. Since we can't do that we need to see exactly what is making contact where in the action area of the stock.

If it's only contacting the recoil lug area and the rear Tang area, lowering the recoil lug should increase tension. However, that's a path you can not fix once you venture down it. You start removing material, you better get it right.

I personally would try steaming and tweaking the nose of the stock up a hair before removing wood.

It's difficult to say where to sand until you see the entire picture
Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 PM

that group seems to be a fluke, but that load in another 1941 clone (not mine) shot a 1.900 group at the same 200 yard line.

the rest of the groups were very random, one time it would hit high, next shot might be way right, another way left. no consistence in the group. aside from coming up several clicks to go to 200, I didn't mess with the scope, just checking to make sure it was tight on the mount.

I assumed the recoil lug would give me the effect Im looking for, I know once I start down that rabbit hole I can't go back. I'll check with the owner before I start.

Thats hebes405 for the input.

78jeep
Old 07-13-2019, 07:49 PM

Try shimming under the barrel with some business cards to simulate fore end pressure, that would verify it's for sure a barrel bedding issue. Hate to go fiddling with something for no reason. If that doesn't clear up the erratic groups, I would look at loose action screws and then re torque scope blocks and mounts.

I know it's not operator error, your one of the to VS teams out there. Good luck and keep us filled in on what you make out
Old 07-14-2019, 05:17 AM

Thanks hebes405, I know about the business card trick, I used to do a similar thing to Garand stocks to test. used masking tape on the receiver legs. this is why I don't like shooting with 70 or 80 years old wood, and in the end it will crack.

may take till next weekend, but I will let you know what happens. I hate posts that never have an ending post as to the answer or fix of a problem.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:03 PM

Once again, a good discussion from an expert shooter in the earlier days. Bob S.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=227956
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 AM

best way to see if its indeed the stock.
put the rifle in a G.I. stock. C stock or S stock.. and see how it does.
if it shoots as you want then the stock is the issue.
if not.. then you have other problems.
my personal observation on accuracy issues.
vertical stringing... is stock pressure issue.
tight group when cold, then spreads as it gets hot {after 15 rounds} stock fitting issues.
shooting all over from the get go. usually a barrel issue.. muzzle damage, barrel installed incorrectly, worn or damaged barrel. rear sight base in a bind.
if its a sniper replica.
look for loose or incorrectly installed bases.
bases in a bind, or gaps under the front base and barrel. {common issue}
handguard touching the front base.
rear base touching the rear sight base.
scope issues... they are more common then you think.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:12 PM

update on the 03.
I went to the range today to test the 03 on loan to me. I pulled the rifle apart before I went. I did find that the recoil lug in the stock was cracked. it does seem very solid, but it is cracked, so it days are numbered no matter what. I did put some shim under the front of the barrel to gain some level of fore end tension. again back with loads that work well in other rifles. just about the same results, poor large groups. I removed the scope and went to iron sights. groups were no better, or worse with the irons.

Thanks for the above posts and your in put on this. Chuckindenver you info is very helpful, and I'll dig more if the owner whats me too.

Thanks, 78jeep