Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Default 1903 Mk I Stock Repair

I own a 1903 Mk I... 90% original finish, correct parts, matching barrel, perfect bore, beautiful stock with proper markings... sadly, the stock was modified long ago, and is now missing the forend wood, top and bottom, from 1" in front of the lower barrel band. So, my question is simple, I'm looking for a "wood artist" with experience in properly matching up and properly attaching a replacement front section, with the joint being hiden under the lower barrel band... and I also need a proper period top hand guard to replace the one that was also modified. If this isn't feasible, I'd be happy to find a 99% Mk I stock and happily pay the price... thanks. ben

Last edited by Ben Tolson; 07-16-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:33 PM

Welcome to the forum. One of the things most helpful in accessing a persons request are photos. You will get a lot more information with the visual information provided by photos then from a verbal description.

Regards,

Art
Old 07-15-2019, 09:24 PM

Finding a replacement upper handguard should be fairly easy, as there are a lot of them available.

Doing the work of splicing a replacement front end of the stock does take some artistry - as you mention. It would require finding a piece which matches the original stock in grain and pattern and then some careful drilling and pinning. There are some parts companies which will sell such front ends to 1903 stocks, but getting one to match yours would be the challenge.

Replacing the stock in total would be more economical, perhaps, but since it is a true original antique, I personally would recommend trying for a good restoration of the existing original stock.

Best of luck!
Old 07-16-2019, 09:33 AM

Hi Ben,

A poster here "Chuck in Denver" builds some nice rifles. I know he is great with metal work & think he can do nice stock work too. If he does not do the stock work you need, he will know someone that does.

The CMP has sold off pallet lots of stocks, which guys here have bought up.
If you post a few good pictures of your stock in the WANT section of the board. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

In my case, a fellow had some spare M1 Garand stocks. He had one I could use for the stock markings. I'll pick it up at the CMP games at Camp Perry.

There is someone HERE, that has almost anything you need for your "special" US made military firearm. It's a good place to network our hobby needs.

Good Luck,
broom
Old 07-16-2019, 11:18 AM

The WW1 era high hump hand guard with the fixture slot inside is very difficult to locate and expensive.

The WW2 replacement hand guards are common and cheap
Old 07-16-2019, 04:23 PM

I've picked up a pretty good donor stock from a friend... but I still need to find the upper hand guard. I'm also going to need the proper oil finished upper band/bayo mount too. I've got lots of vintage parts & pieces, Lyman sights, Redfield scope rings & mounts, Weaver 330's, Lyman Alaskans (A and B prefix) and lots more to trade or cash if you've got what I need.... thanks in advance. I have appreciated all the assistant so far. Here's a poor pic of the donor stock's front half.... with wood has the right age & existing finish... this may turn out better than I hoped or expected...
https://i.imgur.com/fouu4qq.jpg?2
Old 07-16-2019, 10:45 PM

Hi Ben,

Good Luck with your project!

broom
Old 07-17-2019, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the help & contact info.... I just couldn't leave it at the local gun shop... especially when I was told "$225. out the door".... bought an M1C Garand from the same shop this week... it's got 3 extra holes in the receiver from a previous idiot's "improvement" of adding a Pachmyr swing lo mount and Redfield 3x9 scope.... I've got a proper G&H mount and Lyman scope that will hide / distract from those sins. After selling the extra trigger housing and the scope, I should be in the rifle around $450.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:32 AM

Hi Ben,

We LOVE it when a plan comes together!

Enjoy every day,

broom