Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2019, 08:59 AM

Default MARK I question

My MARK I has the letter A under the date. Anyone know what it means?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:02 AM

acceptable
Old 07-17-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
acceptable

Hello Chuck.....I believe you however, do you have a source on that?
Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 AM

I am under that same impression that these were barrels removed from another receiver for whatever reason and were "A" marked to denote the condition was acceptable for reuse.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
My MARK I has the letter A under the date. Anyone know what it means?

The "A" means that the barrel is a second-class barrel. And that's documented.

RHScott's statement is correct for barrels up until WWI. A re-used barrel, of course, would be a second-class barrel. But sometime during or prior to WWI, the meaning was expanded to include newly-manufactured barrels.

J.B.

Last edited by John Beard; 07-17-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
The "A" means that the barrel is a second-class barrel. And that's documented.

RHScott's statement is correct for barrels up until WWI. A re-used barrel, of course, would be a second-class barrel.

J.B.
Thanks JB. So what was the criteria for declaring it a "second class" barrel? This particular barrel has a ME of 1.5 and a beautiful bright bore. Does that lower the value of one? I guess I have to shoot it and find out just how bad this rifle is.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:38 AM

How could it have been taken off another rifle and be dated 1-19 which matches the serial number 1064694?
Old 07-17-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
Thanks JB. So what was the criteria for declaring it a "second class" barrel? This particular barrel has a ME of 1.5 and a beautiful bright bore. Does that lower the value of one? I guess I have to shoot it and find out just how bad this rifle is.
The exact meaning of "second class" has not been found. The most logical explanation is that the barrel exhibited a manufacturing flaw (e.g., something out of tolerance) that did not render the barrel unserviceable, but the barrel could not be shipped out as a spare replacement, i.e., the barrel had to be fitted and installed at Springfield Armory and perhaps exempted from a non-critical requirement during final inspection.

One must understand that Springfield Armory supplied spare replacement parts to arsenals and depots all over the world. And if one of those places received a spare barrel that was out of tolerance (although still serviceable), they would probably just throw it away, thereby wasting money and valuable resources.

An example would be excess headspace. A new barrel must not swallow a NO GO gauge. But a used barrel, on the other hand, must not swallow a FIELD gauge, which is longer. So if Springfield made a new barrel and it inadvertently swallowed a NO GO gauge, but not a FIELD gauge, then they couldn't ship that barrel out as a spare replacement. But the barrel is still serviceable. Again, I use that as just an example, not a specific criterion.

J.B.

Last edited by John Beard; 07-17-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:18 PM

So, as I am reading this, an A-marked barrel was likely installed at Springfield Arsenal only, and therefore would not have been considered as a viable part for rebuild purposes at Springfield, or at any other arsenal?

If so, then this would be the original barrel and receiver pairing?
Old 07-17-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
So, as I am reading this, an A-marked barrel was likely installed at Springfield Arsenal only, and therefore would not have been considered as a viable part for rebuild purposes at Springfield, or at any other arsenal?

If so, then this would be the original barrel and receiver pairing?

Good point, Matt. If it's not the original barrel for 1064694 it would be a shame because it's otherwise a nice original rifle with a decent boxed Dewey cartouche, a MARK I trigger, sear and cut off.