X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Logdog
    • Nov 2013

Mann Device Sled

Does anyone have a picture of the fixture a Mann Device rides in. I have a very heavy base with two fixtures for securing a tube. I bought it 10 years ago near Aberdeen Proving grounds from a gent who said it was a mann device base. I'll post pictures later
  • BubbaTheKid
    • Mar 2010

That would be something to see. All I have discovered is the old timie pictures of the V channel sled and the two donuts that clamp to the barrel. Not an actual fxture that the Mann rifles CMP sold would get mounted into.

Comment

• Blacksmith
      • Nov 2011

If you go to the Springfield Armory web site they have a search page for the archives. Try searches for such terms as Mann, Mann rest, Machine rest, etc. they have some pictures. I have also seen photos in other old publications. Look for ones like Mann's book or books by Julian Hatcher and others.

Here is the Springfield search page:
      http://ww3.rediscov.com/spring/spring.htm

Comment

• Logdog
        • Nov 2013

Mann device sled

Interesting pictures of Mann devices. The distance between the bosses should tell the tail. Would anyone be willing measue the distances between their barrel bosses? Thanks

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
        If you go to the Springfield Armory web site they have a search page for the archives. Try searches for such terms as Mann, Mann rest, Machine rest, etc. they have some pictures. I have also seen photos in other old publications. Look for ones like Mann's book or books by Julian Hatcher and others.

Here is the Springfield search page:
        http://ww3.rediscov.com/spring/spring.htm

Comment

• VMFn542bob
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Logdog View Post
          Interesting pictures of Mann devices. The distance between the bosses should tell the tail. Would anyone be willing measue the distances between their barrel bosses? Thanks
          I don't know what you are referring to as "bosses".
          If these are the two "donut" shaped bearings used to support the barrel in the early days of field testing with a "V" block, it would not apply to the MANN Accuracy rifles sold by the CMP. The CMP MANN rifles were supported by the collar at the breech, or the breech end of the barrel, and the barrel floated freely.
          A veteran is someone who once signed a blank check payable to The United States of America in an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• Logdog
            • Nov 2013

Mann sled

Originally posted by VMFn542bob View Post
            I don't know what you are referring to as "bosses".
            If these are the two "donut" shaped bearings used to support the barrel in the early days of field testing with a "V" block, it would not apply to the MANN Accuracy rifles sold by the CMP. The CMP MANN rifles were supported by the collar at the breech, or the breech end of the barrel, and the barrel floated freely.
            There are two clamps for the lack of a better word where the barrels could be mounted, the sled slides in a large "V' block with spring to either side. I need a general measurement between the collars on a barrel or two to see if it matches up. It all weighes an easy 150 lbs. The pictures of the various bases are very similar, but no pictures are up close.

Comment

• BubbaTheKid
              • Mar 2010

Did someone slip me goofballs or are you guys talking about (2) separate mouting types? I've seen the V-Channel sled but not the Gibralter Mount and single clamp at the breech with free floating barrel which is what I want to see/know about.

Comment

• Logdog
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by BubbaTheKid View Post
                Did someone slip me goofballs or are you guys talking about (2) separate mouting types? I've seen the V-Channel sled but not the Gibralter Mount and single clamp at the breech with free floating barrel which is what I want to see/know about.
                There exists a number of mounting arrangements. Various pictures show the mounts. I'll try to post a good picture of the mount I have. The measurements of the distance between the collars will give a good idea of if the mount was used for the Mann devices

Comment

• VMFn542bob
                  • Oct 2009

There exists a number of mounting arrangements. Various pictures show the mounts. I'll try to post a good picture of the mount I have. The measurements of the distance between the collars will give a good idea of if the mount was used for the Mann devices
                  Pictures would be great. I have never seen anything but pictures a "V" sled and donuts on the barrel.
                  I have two MANN rifles and the dimensions of the barrels can be found here:
                  http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=6338

Scroll down to post #8, about the 3rd photo in the collage gives the dimensions. My view of the changes in barrel diameters is to interrupt resonance. I believe these were retained in a machine solely by the collar at the receiver end.

This thread also shows the only two photos I have seen of a "machine" used to do MANN testing. Both clearly show two donuts on the barrel.
                  Last edited by VMFn542bob; 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM.
                  A veteran is someone who once signed a blank check payable to The United States of America in an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• VMFn542bob
                    • Oct 2009

Does anyone have a picture of the fixture a Mann Device rides in. I have a very heavy base with two fixtures for securing a tube. I bought it 10 years ago near Aberdeen Proving grounds from a gent who said it was a mann device base. I'll post pictures later
                    I just did a Google search and found this post on gunboards.com
                    Might this be you also? Really need some photos.
                    -
                    10-25-2010, 06:02 PM #3
                    JMCJR
                    From my springfield 03 collecting days, I have a sled that is likely for a Mann device, weighs about 150 pounds and clamps an action to a sliding "sled" mounted on a base. Guy
                    I purchased it from lived about 30 miles from Aberdeen Proving Grounds.

Comment

• NMC_EXP
                      • Jul 2010

Col Brophy's book "The Springfield 1903 Rifles" has a chapter called "Pressure, Velocity and Accuracy Devices". It contains several period photos of machine rests.

On page 223 in a section called "Accuracy Tests" it has a reproduction of a test procedure including the equipment to be used. It states:

Rest "Woodworth: Type -
                      Mann Type "V" Block**
                      Rest, Recoil, Accuracy, Cal.30 Ordnance Drawing 49-6-40B

**For cal. .22 cartridges

Further down the procedure says:

"If however the basic Frankford Arsenal rest be available, then only the "V" blocks indicated are need to satisfy the requirement."

Block "V", Recoil, Cal. .30 Assembly Ordnance Drawing D-45100

The way I read it there was a "Woodworth Rest", and a "Frankford Arsenal Rest".

The "V" block fitted the rests interchangably (?). There may have been (2) different "V" blocks: one for .30 cal and one for .22 cal.

You might want to check out the Brophy book and Hatcher's books as well for photos and information.

Also, I believe you can get copies of obsolete Ordnance Drawings from the govt, maybe the National Archives and records Administration?

Good luck
                      Last edited by NMC_EXP; 02-27-2014, 04:12 PM.
                      “After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)

Comment

• VMFn542bob
                        • Oct 2009

Thanks for posting that info on Col Brophy's book. A Google search of images brought up those pictures but as you say, the quality of the pictures is too dark to see much detail. Maybe the actual book would be better. Two of the pictures I found and posted several years ago are in that book but (I think) I found them in the Springfield Museum on line. If I can't find Brophy's book among my friends I may buy a copy. Hatcher's Book is already on the internet as a huge PDF. There is not very much in it on the MANN.
                        Semper Fi - VMF(N)542Bob

Update 2/29/2014, 1:33pm MST
                        I have borrowed a copy of Lt. Col. Brophy's book, 4th printing. Most of the photos on the section cited by NMC_EXP are devoted to pressure testing and cradled 1903's clamped to a sled. Some pictures do show MANN barrels in a fixture but most of the MANN barrels pictured are not associated with a holding fixture.
                        Logdog - If you can provide a photo of your sled I can tell you if it is shown in the book. There are many versions of the Mann rifles in the book that I have never seen before.
                        Last edited by VMFn542bob; 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Logdog
                          • Nov 2013

Cannot post pictures

Site will not let me post, pics sent to Naval Aviator

Comment

• kraigwy
                            • Jun 2010

NMC EXP

Thanks for posting about "Col Brophy's" book.

As soon as I read your post I went to Amazon and found it. I bought it for information on the Mann device and found it to be an excellent book on the Springfield. A great companion piece for my "The Book of the Springfield" by Cpt Edward Crossman.
                            ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            For what it's worth, here is a picture of the cradle for the Mann in 45 ACP from Hatcher's "Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers"

It show how the device fits in the cradle.

I screwed the pooch on getting a Springfield Mann, thinking I had time. But I did get a Remington 700 5.56 Mann from the CMP Auction Site.

Comment

• Logdog
                              • Nov 2013

Mann dervice measurements

I measured the sled across the clamps and came up with aprox 1.7 to 2" depending on what are the bearing surfaces. This corresponds roughly with what Bob has posted for measurements. I one of the guys who thought the devices would be around forever, so don't have one to compare with.
                              Last edited by Logdog; 03-14-2014, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X