Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman134 View Post
When rebuilt most had the original bolts replaced with later revision bolts (-19) as they were made longer to correct excessive head space issues. A worn chamber head space condition is easily corrected with the longer (.005") bolts instead of replacing a good barrel with a new one. Looks like your Win receiver is a early one that Winchester took they time with as usual seen with Winchester production.
Where did you get this info? As far as I know, the dimensions of the bolt lug to face never changed throughout production and the allowed variance was only -.002” from the drawing; no + variance was allowed. These were manufacturing tolerances and not necessarily the same as testing a used bolt. Bolts do however vary in the above dimensions but, those are merely trends and not absolute. Some early bolts were long and post war bolts also tend to be longer than wartime production. I have a gauge that I can measure bolts with fairly accurately (+/-.0005) and a lot of bolts are just plain worn out. I have a WRA bolt that is about -.008” from the drawing. I have never seen numbers for a “reject” for used bolts but my personal opinion is anything over about -.005” will start to effect other geometry within the receiver.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:43 AM

So a bolt can vary from a well used one to a new as much as .005", so that is correct. Read no more into it.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 AM

Lots of good info here and I appreciate it. Wish it was as easy as just finding a WRA bolt and replacing it but sounds like some measuring for head space will be involved. On a side note- the equipped sa-19 bolt also has the win serial # hand etched onto it- so the Winchester serial # is engraved on the SA bolt. Has anybody seen or heard of this or know the reasoning?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 AM

Maybe Winchester could not supply bolts for their rifles. Springfield Armory may have stepped in as they did in later years to help with production. If this can be varified that bolt may be as delivered by Winchester to fulfill their contract. Or maybe Buba got to it thinking serial # should match as with the Jap and German arms.

Last edited by Wireman134; 02-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Durango56 Send a message via AIM to Durango56 Send a message via Yahoo to Durango56

Does your rifle have Winchester barrel, trigger group etc.?
Any rebuild markings?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
So a bolt can vary from a well used one to a new as much as .005", so that is correct. Read no more into it.
Not exactly. New bolts were held to a tolerance of -.002 (shorter than drawing) throughout production. Used bolts can be all over the place. The -.005 number that I mentioned earlier is my opinion only and is derived from other dimensions relating to the firing pin and receiver. I have never been able to find a reject number for worn bolts. Maybe someone here has?

Last edited by 4gun-drill; 02-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4gun-drill View Post
Not exactly. New bolts were held to a tolerance of -.002 (shorter than drawing) throughout production. Used bolts can be all over the place. The -.005 number that I mentioned earlier is my opinion only and is derived from other dimensions relating to the firing pin and receiver. I have never been able to find a reject number for worn bolts. Maybe someone here has?
Your not understanding. If a -.002" bolt is worn .003" it can be .005" shorter than max tolerance. Read no more into this again.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Maybe Winchester could not supply bolts for their rifles. Springfield Armory may have stepped in as they did in later years to help with production. If this can be varified that bolt may be as delivered by Winchester to fulfill their contract. Or maybe Buba got to it thinking serial # should match as with the Jap and German arms.
Didn't happen. The only time SA and WRA swapped parts was for a short time on very early production (during and just after the educational order) on very few rifles (approximately 10 a month), in order to test for a problem with interchangability between parts. It was discovered that the problem was due to Springfield Armory giving Winchester the wrong production drawings. In addition to that, Winchester's contract included that a certain percentage of parts to be manufactured and sent to Springfield Armory to be stored as spare parts for repairs and rebuilds. The serial numbers found engraved on bolts was due to the fact that some units, both American and foreign, did not store the bolts and rifles together. The numbers were engraved to insure the bolts were installed in the correct rifle when the rifle was checked out.