Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW2111 View Post
And the "Tractor"
Isn't tractor appropriate though? After all they were made by a tractor and implement manufacturer. Springers and Winnies annoy me most. For some reason, the first thing that pops into my head when someone mentions Winnie is Winston Churchill. Then again, Winnie the Pooh comes to mind
Old 02-17-2018, 10:38 PM

Where I'm from a Springer is a pregnant heifer.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
A "trigger pack" is no worse than a Winnie or a Springer. A Winnie is noise a horse makes and a Springer is a breed of dog. Somehow the newbies seem compelled to make up cutesie names.

LOL! That's the truth. I actually have a Springer. Wonderful dog, she was a great hunter but is old and crippled worse than her master now.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1941 View Post
Isn't tractor appropriate though? After all they were made by a tractor and implement manufacturer. Springers and Winnies annoy me most. For some reason, the first thing that pops into my head when someone mentions Winnie is Winston Churchill. Then again, Winnie the Pooh comes to mind
Not for me. They are all M1 rifles. The furthest I can go with a nickname would be "Garand". But I will admit that "tractor" is not as annoying to me as either "Winnie or Springer".

Last edited by JoeW2111; 02-18-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 AM

I call my international my tractor Garand
Old 02-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1941 View Post
Isn't tractor appropriate though? After all they were made by a tractor and implement manufacturer. . . . . .
Although IHC did make tractors and implements, the actual factory building where the M1 was manufactured, originally made Kelvenator refrigerators and air conditioners!

Bye-the-way, it’s apparently a little-known fact that the “floor engineer” in charge of setting up the various machines for the manufacture of the M1 in that small portion of the Evansville factory, was none-other than the nephew of Field Marshall, Erwin Rommel!

(Things you learn about by being a member of the GCA!)

Edit: Actually, the original building was constructed by Republic Aviation during WW2 to manufacture the P47 Thunderbolt, then the building was bought by IHC (in the late 1940’s) for the refrigerator manufacture.

Last edited by JimF; 02-18-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Although IHC did make tractors and implements, the actual factory building where the M1 was manufactured, originally made Kelvenator refrigerators and air conditioners!

Bye-the-way, it’s apparently a little-known fact that the “floor engineer” in charge of setting up the various machines for the manufacture of the M1 in that small portion of the Evansville factory, was none-other than the nephew of Field Marshall, Erwin Rommel!

Interesting..
Old 02-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Where I come from, International products, especially trucks, were called "cornbinders".
Old 02-18-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
the “floor engineer” in charge of setting up the various machines for the manufacture of the M1 was none-other than the nephew of Field Marshall, Erwin Rommel!

Get out of here! I have never heard that before! Very interesting!