Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2018, 02:25 AM

Dropping the hammer is advised?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:17 AM
Banned

Tothemax, Get you some Good Mobil One Synthetic grease the pink stuff use that on those lugs they wont wear at all and it stays put pretty good also a thin film on anything that slides works great less is best. See if that helps out.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfork View Post
Dropping the hammer is advised?
Dropping the hammer just keeps the hammer spring from being as compressed. I do the same before putting my rifle up. Some people do not like dry firing their rifle so one think you can do is take the empty chamber indicator flag that comes with your rifle and place it behind the bolt as you pull the trigger, then just pull the flag out.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Dropping the hammer just keeps the hammer spring from being as compressed. I do the same before putting my rifle up. Some people do not like dry firing their rifle so one think you can do is take the empty chamber indicator flag that comes with your rifle and place it behind the bolt as you pull the trigger, then just pull the flag out.
Every M1 Garand has been dry fired thousands of times. It was standard procedure at every inspection, and every time the gun was cleaned. Every time the rifle was checked out of, or in to, the supply room, the bolt was pulled back to check for an empty chamber, then released and the trigger was pulled to uncock the rifle. And the bolt was never eased closed either. You just held the op rod with the blade of your hand, pushed the follower down with your thumb, jerked your hand away and and let it slam shut. All standard procedure and training. The cadre were all WWII and Korean war vets, and all that metallic noise was music to their ears, and you had better play thier song. No reason to start babying these rifles at this late date.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimit View Post
Every M1 Garand has been dry fired thousands of times. It was standard procedure at every inspection, and every time the gun was cleaned. Every time the rifle was checked out of, or in to, the supply room, the bolt was pulled back to check for an empty chamber, then released and the trigger was pulled to uncock the rifle. And the bolt was never eased closed either. You just held the op rod with the blade of your hand, pushed the follower down with your thumb, jerked your hand away and and let it slam shut. All standard procedure and training. The cadre were all WWII and Korean war vets, and all that metallic noise was music to their ears, and you had better play thier song. No reason to start babying these rifles at this late date.
You’re singin to the band my friend, been there done that in just basic training alone, times three. I mearly pointed out that some people don’t want to or are afraid to dry fire their rifles, and for those who feel that way there is a cheap and easy option to dry fire their M1 and not feel like they’re doing harm.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
some people don’t want to or are afraid to dry fire their rifles, and for those who feel that way there is a cheap and easy option to dry fire their M1 and not feel like they’re doing harm.
There is an easier option. Just pull the op rod back until the rear of the bolt just touches the hammer. Pull the trigger and ease the op rod forward. The hammer will gently follow the bolt until the bolt is fully closed.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
There is an easier option. Just pull the op rod back until the rear of the bolt just touches the hammer. Pull the trigger and ease the op rod forward. The hammer will gently follow the bolt until the bolt is fully closed.
Yup . . . . This . . . .^^^^^^!

This operation also works with the M1 carbine and M14.

Just because these fire-pins have been “through the mill” with recruits, is NO guarantee the very next dry-fire won’t break it!

Metal “crystalizes” with beatings and time.

Once, during a match, the guy next to me broke a fire-pin of his M14 . . . .

No telling how many strikes that pin had taken when it finally cried “uncle”!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:22 AM

Back in the mid 80s, I had Glenn Nelson build me a couple of M1As. I asked him about taking the guns apart. He said something like: damnit son don't be taking them apart! If it needs to come apart, send it back to me!

Glenn sure didn't mince words. Ha!

Of course, Glenn is long gone now. But ya know, I still haven't taken either gun apart. They still shoot very well at 300, slightly over 1 MOA with 155gr loads. Haven't shot either gun at 600 in several years.

Vic
Old 02-16-2018, 01:05 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post

This is just simply being too anal. One of the best forms of practice with an M1 is dry fire practice. It will make a much better shooter. I'll wager I've dry fired my match M1 1000 times a year more than I've live fired it in the last 10 years with no damage done whatsoever. As far as "wear" from leaving the trigger group closed. I have M1's in the safe that have been left closed in storage for more years than I can remember. None of them have "loosened" in the process.

If you heavily oil your stocks every year (also totally unnecessary) they may compress more but I doubt it will be very discernable anyway. So, easy fix, stop over oiling your stocks. You are not going to battle in adverse condition or swimming to shore in an amphibious landing so drenching the stock in oil every year is also an over anal activity that will probably do more harm than good in the long run.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
This is just simply being too anal. One of the best forms of practice with an M1 is dry fire practice. It will make a much better shooter. I'll wager I've dry fired my match M1 1000 times a year more than I've live fired it in the last 10 years with no damage done whatsoever. As far as "wear" from leaving the trigger group closed. I have M1's in the safe that have been left closed in storage for more years than I can remember. None of them have "loosened" in the process.

If you heavily oil your stocks every year (also totally unnecessary) they may compress more but I doubt it will be very discernable anyway. So, easy fix, stop over oiling your stocks. You are not going to battle in adverse condition or swimming to shore in an amphibious landing so drenching the stock in oil every year is also an over anal activity that will probably do more harm than good in the long run.
Excellent advice!
vic