Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2018, 06:48 PM

Default Rack Grade clean up and restock

I purchased this Rack Grade at the South Store earlier this month. It's an SA which was a Turkish return. I picked it up because it has a Feb of 42 receiver with the original barrel and finish, but there's not a lot of finish left on the receiver at this point.

It also had some other parts I was interested in for other projects, an IHC stock, an IHC bolt, IHC rear sight, a WRA trigger guard, and a pretty flawless front hand guard. Like many of the Turkish returns the wood parts had a heavy coating of glossy lacquer or varnish.

I decided to restock it with a Springfield stock and hand guards that I had laying around from a parts rifle I bought years ago. They were almost black in color with oil and grime and I spent quite a bit of time using a heat gun to get as much of the oil out that could. I followed that up with a wipe down with mineral spirits then a few coats of BLO. I think that the wear on the stock is a good match for the rifle based on the wear of the metal.

The only mechanical issues were a bad safety (broken then welded) and the barrel splines needed peening to correct for a really loose fitting gas cylinder and side to side movement.

I really like Rack Grade rifles. At first look they look pretty rough, but they often have some really nice parts. Going forward I'll probably put on a set of lock bar sights and a milled trigger guard to give it more of a WW II look. On to the pictures.

Here is the rifle just as it came. I stripped the stock (which took some effort) to use on an IHC service grade that came with CMP wood.

Here it is after the clean up and re stock.

Last edited by 32sbct; 02-14-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:08 PM

Nice job. Every Garand needs a home
Old 02-14-2018, 08:27 PM

Job well done! Rifle looks much better and I agree that the new stock set fits the bill for the amount of wear on the metal.

Don't forget to show us the take off stock when you get it finished.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:36 PM

That turned out nice. I like it! As SFCDave said, let us see the take off stock when you're done with it.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the muzzle and throat measurements on it?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBurn View Post
That turned out nice. I like it! As SFCDave said, let us see the take off stock when you're done with it.

If you don't mind me asking, what were the muzzle and throat measurements on it?
The ME was 3+ and the throat is 2+. I had a chance to shoot it at the Talledega Range before I returned home. I wasn't expecting much but it actually shot pretty well considering the 3+ at the muzzle. I could keep all eight shots in the black on an NRA SR1 target at 100 yards off the bench. I think that should tighten up now that the gas cylinder side to side movement has been eliminated.