Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:02 PM
sakorick sakorick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Linneus, Missouri
Posts: 486
Default New Service grade from CMP

Snail mail sent on 27 Nov and rifle arrived today, very pleased. Its a 2M04 Springfield with a new CMP stock. All SA parts inside, 10-43 barrel(must be original) with a ME of 1.7 and TE slightly over 3, IHC bolt. Nothing not to like with this beauty. Added 2d photo with upper handguard refinished.



Last edited by sakorick; Yesterday at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:21 PM
KamelRed KamelRed is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Default

She's a beaut. I would be pleased if the service grade I received looked only half as nice.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2018, 04:49 PM
TSimonetti TSimonetti is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,678
Default

Looks like the front sight and maybe gas cylinder could be IHC as well. Ears look very wide. Punch mark?

Great score! Will you be staining the front guard to match?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 PM
bruce bruce is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 945
Default

Me like! Me like! Extremely glad you got such a nice rifle! Wonderful way to get to celebrate Christmas! Sincerely. bruce.
__________________
<><
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:02 PM
goufyarlo goufyarlo is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 14
Default

I love that beautiful piece of history you have there, sakorick
Sorry to ask this here. But I am new CMP and new to M1 Garands.
Im in search of a nice piece of history that I can shoot on occasion. I would love to have one that shows its history and is dated to WWII with correct manufacture.
Where do I look or ask?
Sorry again sakorick
__________________
Arlo
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:08 PM
sakorick sakorick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Linneus, Missouri
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
Looks like the front sight and maybe gas cylinder could be IHC as well. Ears look very wide. Punch mark?

Great score! Will you be staining the front guard to match?

Already done Linseed oil in the morning. No punch marks, 3/4" wide.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM
sakorick sakorick is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Linneus, Missouri
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goufyarlo View Post
I love that beautiful piece of history you have there, sakorick
Sorry to ask this here. But I am new CMP and new to M1 Garands.
Im in search of a nice piece of history that I can shoot on occasion. I would love to have one that shows its history and is dated to WWII with correct manufacture.
Where do I look or ask?
Sorry again sakorick

No problem at all. It's a crap shoot and I got lucky. That said $750 dollars for a guaranteed Service Grade Garand, with Provenance, in these days is a steal. This will be a range rifle and deer shooter for me. You can ask for consideration for a "war gun" but there are no guarantees. Perhaps others will chime in to help you. OBTW there were only 2 manufacturers that built M1's in WWII, Winchester and Springfield. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Me Not You Me Not You is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 61
Default

Nearly all of the Garands around today came out of this process:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...rand-rebuilds/
A receiver made and possibly used during WWII would probably have a serial number under 4 million. If it saw hard use it probably will have a replacement barrel.
I will advise you to steer clear of "corrected" rifles. They may not be shootable, may even be unsafe.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:30 PM
vitaminboy vitaminboy is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: RI
Posts: 43
Default

That is one sharp rifle. Both of mine received today have the been there done that look. Also shipped on the 77th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. Congratulations!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 PM
Ronwall Ronwall is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Green River Lake, Ky
Posts: 673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Not You View Post
Nearly all of the Garands around today came out of this process:
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...rand-rebuilds/
A receiver made and possibly used during WWII would probably have a serial number under 4 million. If it saw hard use it probably will have a replacement barrel.
I will advise you to steer clear of "corrected" rifles. They may not be shootable, may even be unsafe.
Unaltered rebuilt Garands are in their own way already correct. Personally I like them.

Most post war barrels especially LMR and 1960's SA barrels are in my opinion better than WW2 barrels are. Garands were taken apart, put back together and used by 18 year olds for decades so except for barrels that have been replaced by "Bubba" why would a corrected rifle be unsafe?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.