Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2018, 03:06 PM

Default New Inland

Ok, I had a thread on the Garand section asking if I should trade my WRA Garand for an Inland Carbine at a local store. Long story short, I kept the WRA and purchased the Inland

Honestly it is a mix master in that it has an Inland receiver (4XX,XXX) and Winchester barrel. I haven't fully taken it apart yet. Stock just has the "IO" in the sling/oiler cutout. I paid around $900 for it.

It is the extras (which I didn't expect) that surprised me. The bayonet is an Imperial with a Hemphill pommel. The 30 round mags are commercial (i.e. "Made in USA") but the 15 rounders are "SW". The flash hider is GI (but not USGI) in that it has an oval with an F in it - per Bill Ricca's site it was either NATO or Philippines mfg. The webbing is interesting -- the canvas mag holder looks real but the sling is in near mint condition (making me wonder if repro)? Finally I have not been able to figure out what the metal bar is for -- store owner was thinking maybe a scope mount of some type but might not even be related to the Carbine (just was in the box) - both it and the "bracket" has similar serial numbers on them.

Thoughts?
https://imgur.com/a/LXYZH0E
Old 09-16-2018, 03:14 PM

Your answer is in this post.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=233442

Last edited by 6 Ring; 09-16-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:10 PM

Thanks --- yep looks like a M3 mounting. Any ideas on how to tell if original? As mentioned, it has the serial # on both the mount and bracket.

Speaking of which what are the approximate value of Imperial bayonets (Hemphill pommel)?

Anyway, I was happy with the rifle (was looking for a shooter less than $1K) but the condition looks nice and the box of extra goodies was a complete surprise
Old 09-16-2018, 06:59 PM

Nice looking M1 Carbine. All the extras are a nice bonus. Bought my first M1 Carbine, a National Postal Meter at a gun show a few years back for $1100.00. It came with an original D-end sling, NOS magazine and a Camillus bayonet with sheath. Think I paid a little to much but the metal and stock are in excellent condition.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:22 PM

Picture of the sling metal will give you an answer. It's a pretty accurate weave and color, but that's common. Bet on repro though.

But the sling is a minor issue. Check it over good when you strip it down. Get a good intro guide to ownership and care and maintenance, like the Ruth/Duff Guide. There are also great online resources.

It is a very nice looking carbine. Congratulations.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:37 AM

Magazine pouch is 100% original USGI. I would like to see some more detailed photo's of the sling if possible.

Original USGI flash hiders were manufactured by Underwood and Springfield Armory. Markings were U and SA respectively. Close up photo's of the flash hider would be helpful as well. There are FH's made in Spain but these are clearly marked as such and not trying to fool anyone.

Bayonets can be all over the place, $100-175. Then again sometimes a guy gets lucky and finds one in a box of "goodies" when he buys a fine looking Inland carbine!

Nice score all around.

Last edited by mrrm; 09-17-2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:54 PM

I just updated the album with more detailed pictures of the sling and flash hider.

The sling looks almost too good so I'm guessing repro.

The flash hider, as mentioned, has the oval with an F in it (sorry for the close up of dog hairs next to it... ). Per Bill Ricca's website they are either Belgian, Italian, NATO, or Philippine. Supposedly there was a Garand barrel found with the same markings dated 1956.

I also researched the M3 mounting rod as well (what I thought were serial # were actually part #). Thoughts on value (not that I will be selling it in the near future)? Looking on the web I saw anywhere from $200 to $485 listed for them -- couldn't find any sold examples though.

As I've said in the past, a lot of the fun with these old collectibles is just researching the history of what you have
Old 09-18-2018, 10:36 AM

Very nice carbine, these little rifles are blast to shoot.