Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2018, 09:14 PM

Default 1943 Winchester Garand Opinions Needed

Hey guys,

I was offered a Garand today and would like some opinions on it. I think it might be a good find, but I'd like to run it by the forum to see what the consensus is before I buy it.

https://imgur.com/a/9ozpDhI

The rifle has a Winchester receiver which I think dates to Jan of '43. It looks to me like the receiver was lead dipped, but I haven't seen a dipped receiver in person so I'm not sure. There are a couple odd wear spots on the left side of the receiver, and I really have no idea what they might be from. Never seen one that looks like this.

I think the bolt has correct drawing and heat treat numbers for WWII. The op rod is marked NM. I'm assuming that would be a post-war replacement, but I'm not sure. The rear sight is obviously a replacement, as is the trigger guard. I have no information on the rest of the trigger parts, but it's clearly been rearsenaled, so that probably doesn't matter.

The stock has a faded cartouche that clearly says WRA over GHD. It looks to me like it was lightly sanded and then stamped with crossed cannons. I'm also not too well versed in cartouches though, so I'd appreciate some input there.

The barrel looks like it's a '55 production, but I find that strange because the bore is pretty rough, as is the wood. I didn't know Garands were used much after '55. I know it could have been pieced together by someone, but from the patina I have a feeling that it wasn't. No clue though... Any theories would be appreciated.

The seller said he'd be willing to go down to $1000. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 PM

I would pass on this one. The stock cartouche and ordnance wheel look fake to me and you said the bore is rough. Not worth even close to 1k in my opinion.

Market is soft, you can find really nice garands for 1k right now.

Last edited by Bad Gambler; 11-14-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:56 PM

Is the barrel made by Springfield Armory? If so, the barrel is a replacement which makes the Garand a typical mixmaster. I'd get a muzzle wear reading and throat erosion reading to see how worn out the rifle is.

If either mw te is out of spec, I'd pass on the deal.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:00 PM

The ordnance wheel on the side of the stock is a flaming fake. It looks like there was some monkey business with the WRA/GHD as well.

Once you see something hideous like that ordnance wheel, all bets are off for the rest of the rifle as well. Check the drawing number on the receiver. It might be a Springchester "re-weld". Look for anomalies and problems with the barrel, as well as import markings.

At $1,000 he's making out like a bandit from what I can see...PASS is my first and only advice
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 PM

Just saw your pics. Bolt is SA. Stock is not very attractive. I would not even pay $500 for the rifle. You can do better.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 PM

X-Taiwanese Garand ( atleast the recvr )

Many of these were brought in by Century a couple yrs ago from Guatemala were they were pretty abused. Looked at alot of them that Big 5 was selling and nice bores were pretty rare.....

Pass........
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 PM

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. So far the only Garand I’ve bought from anywhere other than the CMP has been a nice M1D that I found at a local shop. I think I’ll stick to CMP rifles.

Steve
Old 11-15-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. So far the only Garand I’ve bought from anywhere other than the CMP has been a nice M1D that I found at a local shop. I think I’ll stick to CMP rifles.

Steve
The market is a little soft in places, so don't limit yourself to just the CMP. There are great rifles that are one owner from the DCM just around the next corner, that haven't been corrected!
Old 11-15-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancer99 View Post
The market is a little soft in places, so don't limit yourself to just the CMP. There are great rifles that are one owner from the DCM just around the next corner, that haven't been corrected!
There is nothing wrong with buying a corrected rifle as long as the parts are in usable condition and are legitimate USGI and not fake. A well done corrected rifle is desirable to many and will bring a higher price than a typical mixmaster. The rifle in question is not corrected. It does not have correct parts for date of manufacture. It is a shabby looking mixmaster rifle with a stock that has a fake cartouche. That is the reason it has received poor reviews in the replies.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:55 PM

From what I remember, the garands from South American had the same wear marks on the left side of the receiver, just as pictured....The importer at the Harrisburg pa gun show, back in the day, was blowing them out for $ 300....Look for left over black, ugly, thick grease....regards...alex

Tags
1943, advice, garand, opinions, winchester