Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 01:15 PM

Default Pit master calls?

I was asked to be a pit master for a match and I would like any advice and specific things I should to to ensure the match, and pits, run smoothly under my commands.
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM

read the rule book and know the range commands, time limits for prep time , sighters, scoring etc and the specific rules for alibi's esp range alibi's.

Making up a cheat sheet is also very handy.

making things move smoothly.... Be on top of everything and a bit of a task master and keep things moving along .
Old 05-27-2011, 01:38 PM

I guess it depends on your club/match organization, too. I've been pit-boss twice for our JC Garand Matches. It means I had the walkie-talkie to the Match Director on the firing line, and was the lead-man of the pit crew. As I'm still responsible for pulling/scoring a target, everyone helps with things like missed shots/too many hits on a target. Pit Boss relays info to Match Director, who makes the calls. Pit Boss also seals/unseals pits echos Director's calls for "targets half-mass/up", reports scoring/equiptment discrepencies, etc. Ours is a more of a pit-team leader, not so much Pit-Master & Commander.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:57 PM

A good idea is to spread around the experienced match shooters so they can help the new shooters. Try not to position newbies next to each other in the pits or on the firing line. Separate them with experienced shooters.

And don’t put anyone who looks like they are in over their head scoring for the better shooters. The last thing you want is someone losing a match because the scorer in the pits wasn’t up to the job. Then everyone will be mad at you.

The first time in the pits can be intimidating for new/younger shooters. You want them to learn to do it right. They will have more fun too. Take time to explain why things are done as well as how to do things.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:56 PM

Thanks to all of you. you've been a big help and I know feel like I am better prepared to be the pit officer tomorrow, thanks again!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 PM

Don't know if it will help you or not but if you do a YouTube search there are quite a few videos folks have done for how to work the pits.

Tags
advice, calls, match, pits