Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 PM

Default Beginner needs help with a possible M1 carbine purchase

Taxes came back and I'm thinking about picking up a carbine, problem is i don't know much. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to look for, what to avoid and roughly how much it should cost?

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Buy a CMP papered carbine from someone here on the forum,safest way to avoid getting scammed
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM

What deputy85 said. Wish I had known that before I bought my first one.

Edited to add that when you see one you like don't wait too long to decide. Some of the upper end ones stay available for awhile, but the 700-900 ones move quickly.

Last edited by wensteph; 03-07-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 PM

IMHO More impotant than the CMP paper is the seller! alot of people with cmp guns have lost or had no interest in papers. don't be afraid to ask about a seller and look up his reviews. Carbines are going up fast but you should be able to get a good shooter for about $700
Good LUCK
bILL
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM

I found a Bavarian police carbine in about 90% condition for $650 last year, should have jumped on it. My local gunshop sells mostly milsurps and always has carbines in stock. I can see the benefit of buying a CMP carbine, but I'd like to support the local business if he has one. I was just wondering what to look for.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:03 AM

I might be listing a nice IBM this weekend.
PM me if interested.
Phil
Old 03-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Banned

The first USGI receiver I bought ended up having a replaced barrel some time after WWII. Those will never have the value the original barreled Carbine has. Start with a receiver and barrel combo that are original to each other would be my suggestion. I didn't know to ask the question at the time. It's a good shooter though.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM

My first carbine, I was not knowledgable enough and over paid at a gun shop. The next couple dozen have been through CMP and this forum. Watch and you will get fair to good deals and make sure you get the CMP paperwork. It provides authenticity and will help for future resale, if needed.

And get lots of photos.. Being able to buy something a bit above the original CMP price but with photos is a great benefit and deal It's almost as good as picking them out at the south or north store when they had them.

Last edited by JamesM1; 03-08-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM

As all mentioned above, you can do pretty well by buying off the forum here.
Should be a better price than a gun store, unless you trip over something.
But no sure beat.

If you want to go retail (prices are higher going thru a retail shop that stands behind what they sell), and buy from someone that knows and stand behind their rifle sales, buy from Orion 7 . www.m1garand.com , you'll have to call to find out what he has and prices.

I've bought as many carbines from them as I have from the CMP.

All my Orion7 purchased carbines (the mix masters), are far and above in better condition than the Service Grades I received from CMP.

He has about a 1/2 dozen racks filled with carbines the last I saw couple of months ago.
From great condition mixmasters, to never fired arsenal rebuilds, to near original, to original. So large spread in costs (based on manufacturer too, pretty wide assortment).

As much as Orion7 is known for Garands, Tony (the owner) really loves Carbines and knows his stuff about carbines as much as he does Garands.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM

Welcome to the forum and the carbine world. I guess the first and most important question you need to ask and answer is: What are you going to do with the carbine? Are you looking for a shooter, collector, or a little of both? Once you figure out what you are looking for you can really narrow down the field and conduct a targeted search. There are lots of carbines floating around and as the others have said, they range in price from reasonable to astronomical. If you are looking for a good shooter, you can't go wrong with a mixmaster CMP Inland carbine. Inland made the most carbines and by virtue of this are more affordable than a Rock-ola mixmaster. Do some research and learn about what authentic, original parts look like. If you opt for something more collectable you will want to know how to spot reproduction parts. Regardless you have come to the right place for advice. The guys on the forum won't steer you wrong and will cheerfully provide you with as much information as you can stand. Good luck.

Tags
advice, carbine, suggestions