Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 12:57 PM

Default 1903 or 1903A3

Hello all,

I have recently decided to start looking for either a 1903 or an 03a3. I currently shoot in the Springfield match at Perry and Butner. For the past few years I have borrowed a 03A3 from either my grandfather or uncle for the competitions but am finally in a position to obtain my own rifle. I do not participate in the roosevelt match but maybe sometime in the future I might give it a try.

What are your opinions and what would you get?
The 03a3 due to more favorable sights and currently only shoot the springfield match, or the 1903 for the possibility of being able to shoot an additional match in the future?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2019, 01:54 PM

I shot an A3 for years for all the standard reasons. The 1903 aperture doesn't work for me. After working on a few 1903s and trying the open sight, I was impressed by how well they shot. Now, I don't feel that I am giving much away when I use the 1903. Additionally, if you have a 1903 D&Ted for the 1941 sniper bases, you then have an excellent (and valuable) rifle that you can use in three CMP matches. Think about that.... Good Shooting. ...
Old 01-14-2019, 03:53 PM

my experience is that the a3 is easier to use with the aperture sight in the rear and a .100 front sight.
get an additional 03 for the other matches.
two guns are always better than one.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:05 PM

If you have the only the cash for one buy a 03A3, it's what your used to. Then you can try a 03 and see if you like it. I started with the 03 , it just looks classy. I just finished building a 03A3 from a drill receiver. The sights are better but I'm at the age that it may not make a big difference. Good luck, hope you get a nice one whichever it is. Eddie
Old 01-14-2019, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys for your inputs. I'm leaning more and more towards the 03a3 for all the stated reasons and I'm not sure when I will actually participate in the roosevelt match. Plus by getting the a3 now, gives me more of an excuse to get more rifles down the road. Thanks again fellas.

Kolton
Old 01-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle fudd View Post
Thanks guys for your inputs. I'm leaning more and more towards the 03a3 for all the stated reasons and I'm not sure when I will actually participate in the roosevelt match. Plus by getting the a3 now, gives me more of an excuse to get more rifles down the road. Thanks again fellas.

Kolton
A3 NOS parts are easier to find / cheaper... and there's plenty of NOS barrels out there if you find a rifle that needs one.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:08 AM

Regarding the M1903 itself - some top competitors have done well with it, too. And you can fit it with a wider front sight and any aperture to it as well. And the M1903 can be configured as a Vintage Sniper, as Ceresco already pointed out.
But if you really want to "dig in" and understand it - like those doughboys who were killing the Bosch (sp) at 800 yards in WWI with their M1903s, get the E.C. Crossman "Book of the Springfield" and his "Military and Sporting Rifle Shooting" - and find out about sight micrometers, etc. Good luck, either way - and yes, more rifles is better! CC
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 AM

My Dad owned both the 1903 and the 03A3 versions and fired both often. I still have his shooting book and found that he did about two thirds of all his shooting with one Remington 03A3 rifle with standard issue sights. I still have it and also use it to test my reloads for accuracy.

As a "pretty" rifle with nice machining, fit and finish you can't beat the earlier 1903 Springfields. The 03A3 was a wartime version which was designed to cut down on time and expense of manufacture, but it continued to be an accurate rifle which functioned like the 1903.

The 03A3's rear peep sight, although simple, is adjustable for both windage and elevation and for many it is easier to use than the ladder sight of the 1903.

The 03A3 seems to be the most popular of all issue type military bolt action rifles used in matches of the Cast Bullet Association.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:10 AM

For years the 03A3 was considered second class to the 03 as it was seen as little more than a wartime expedient and not up the the quality of its older brother. I think the 03A3 really came into its own because of its sighting system and a lot of guys reasoning it to be a lot like the M1s (Garands and carbines) they were shooting. Having said that, I have to admit that though the 03 is a classier piece the 03A3 is a better tool due to the rear sight. Now give me an 03 with a Lyman 48 and that’s a completely different story.