Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 PM

I'm definitely going to have to go back and take a second look at the rifle. Maybe I can post some photos for feedback from you guys.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:04 PM

I have one and like it. Mostly because I show it to even experienced gun guys and they are mystified with how it operates. Watch that bolt, it will seriously mess up a finger bigtime.

Look on YouTube for Forgotten Weapons videos on it and Ian using it in a three gun match.

I recommend if you get it and want any hope of reloading your brass that you remove the screw at the 90 degree change in the gas system and replace it (save the original) with another longer one that you have filed a point on the end or a slant such that you can adjust the gas operation to soften the recoil but mostly to reduce the damage it does to brass. It flings the brass out with enough force that it dents it sometimes pretty badly. It’s a weird screw thread but I found it online and had it sent from Europe and still wasn’t too bad.

Also there is a type of surplus ammo that is not recommended for use there’s info on that online somewhere.

My feedback thread
Old 01-14-2019, 11:26 PM

Yeap, slings brass a country mile and dents it to heck. The adjustable gas screw is an option as mentioned above. I’ve not done it as I mostly reload the primed brass from a pile of ‘blank’ ammo I have. Berdan, so I don’t worry with chasing it.

I find best reloading performance with Garand style powders and a 140 bthp. Dial it down from the book load data for the bolt guns.

If you don’t reload, the m/41 surplus is great but hard to find. PPU is good and gives good reloadable brass.

As mentioned above, do not shoot the Danish 6.5x55 in any Swede Mauser or Ljungman...

Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 PM

The bolts ‘paper punch’

Old 01-15-2019, 02:35 AM

Years ago when both were common and inexpensive, I owned a Ljungman and a Hakim. I never cared for the way they worked. They were both completely reliable and accurate but the action was looooong and unconventional at best.

You did NOT want to be within 20 feet on either side when the Hakim was fired. The muzzle brake sent gasses to the sides and the blast was horrific. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubs43 View Post
Years ago when both were common and inexpensive, I owned a Ljungman and a Hakim. I never cared for the way they worked. They were both completely reliable and accurate but the action was looooong and unconventional at best.

You did NOT want to be within 20 feet on either side when the Hakim was fired. The muzzle brake sent gasses to the sides and the blast was horrific. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

LOL I was about to post the same thing. I've owned & since sold both of them. The Swedes sold the tooling to Egypt. Both are pretty long rifles. The action is interesting and you definitely don't want to get your fingers or thumbs caught int he action. Probably makes Garand thumb look like a walk in the park.

In 2010 I brought my Hakim out to a military match. The line was very crowded and I had neighbors to my immediate left and right. After shooting our first string those guys picked up and left. The muzzle brake that is built into the rifle was pounding their skulls every time I fired.

Finally, OP says his LGS is selling a Ljungman for $1,300. Personally I think that's $300-$400 too much, but I haven't priced them in a while.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:33 PM

Then there is the Egyptian Rasheed carbine, the Ljungmann AG42/Hakim action scaled down to 7.62x39mm. About 10,000 made and reportedly something like only 2,000 in the U.S. It, too, is a hoot to shoot.

I once had the whole “family” in my collection. Sold the Hakim. As mentioned by others, it was a loud beast. The 8mm Mauser chambering was harsh on the shoulder, compared to the 6.5x55 Swedish AG42 chambering. And its fit and finish was nothing like the Swede.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:48 AM

Default Ag42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
Local gun shop has one. A very unique rifle. Anyone have any experience with these?
I had one and promptly traded it. Think it was about $250 some 12 yrs. ago
Was in great shape..sights, tool kit. Bolt operating platform a real finger crusher. Would only work with the original military Swede 6.5 ammo. Jammed otherwise.
Good luck with it.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:40 PM

They're kinda cool, and I bought one simply cause I like collecting Swede military firearms. It was nice enough to shoot. I only shot surplus Swede ammo through it, so can't speak to how it operates with modern ammo. That bolt is nasty though, you got to be real careful. Worse than Garand thumb.

I would have thought $1300 was high too, but a look on completed gunbroker auctions shows that price is pretty much in line. I got mine around 10 years ago for $700.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 PM

I have one. Very accurate and soft recoil. I have never felt safe using stripper clips in it as the bolt is lightning fast. It has become a safe queen.