• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShaveTail
    • Mar 2010

NS Report 10/15 with pics

Oh--resistance is futile.

After reading Jonesy's reports on the Service Grades I just had to go and see for myself. Pop and I set out this morning before 7:00 and arrived around 8:20. Only one other gentleman there to start with, a fellow from Buffalo (I regret not getting his name). Five or six others arrived before the store opened...and everyone started eyeing each other like hungry predators.

First off, the Springfied SG's are history. The South Store over sold, so they all went on the truck back to Anniston. They seem to have made it up to us in HRAs--two full double sided racks! Some very nice rifles there; I handled every single one and only found two LMRs. Both of those measured around 2 ME, so I ended up passing...for a 5.5 with ME flat 0 and a drop-dead-gorgeous open box SA stock. Lots of gems in that batch, including an HRA bolt I've never seen before--I forget the numbers, but the text was entirely right justified like an IHC bolt I once saw. Odd.

I found the SG WRAs somewhat disappointing. Granted I was a late comer to that rack; I let it deflect people from the HRAs while I hunted for LMRs. Many with original finish and USGI stocks, but no beauty queens, especially when compared to the HRAs. They looked like really nice FGs. All SA barrels, a few assorted WRA parts. The fellow from Buffalo found one with a WRA trigger guard.

A rack each of SA and HRA corrects. I almost lost my "Under $1k this time!" resolve and bought a 5.6 HRA Correct with an LMR ME 0 barrel, but I stopped myself. I'm glad I did, but she's still calling my name from the south.

Lots of pics. I took some sample shots of the WRAs for the curious and played with the panorama feature on my new camera to get some cool store pics. (I'll edit with them when they finish uploading to PhotoBucket) Enjoy!

Last edited by ShaveTail; 10-15-2010, 12:00 PM.
  • ShaveTail
    • Mar 2010

Here are some sample shots of the WRA SGs. These rifles were picked off the racks completely at random.

Comment

• Jonesy
      deactivated
      • Oct 2009

Shavetail,

This cracked me up: "everyone started eyeing each other like hungry predators"

That's how we looked at each other Wednesday morning. A little friendly chit-chat seemed to lower everyone's guard.

I just heard about the SA's being gone. That's a bummer.

Glad you made out well. I agree, those HRAs are a sight to behold.

Jonesy
      Shoot safely and have fun!
      Jonesy

Comment

• ShaveTail
        • Mar 2010

More WRA SGs:

Comment

• Jonesy
          deactivated
          • Oct 2009

Great pics. I like the panoramic view of the NS. Makes me want to go back already...
          Shoot safely and have fun!
          Jonesy

Comment

• ShaveTail
            • Mar 2010

And a few shots for fun:

Comment

• mattp
              • Oct 2009

those are some really faint heel stampings on the WRA SGs!! Thanks for the photos. cool panoramic shots!

Comment

• redheep
                • May 2010

I'm really glad we went wednesday morning. There was a whole rack of SA SG's if you wanted one. We were looking at HRA's pretty exclusively and I managed to convince my brother that the extra 100 for a SG was worth it.

Ours all had a ME of 1. I didn't see any 0's on the SG racks and shied away from the CG's. I think my wife would have killed me.
                GySgt/USMC Ret

Comment

• TokiWartooth
                  • Jan 2010

I sure hope I don't get new production wood...

Comment

• WIN 342
                    • Oct 2009

great report, thanks

Comment

• valleyguy71
                      • Jun 2010

Thanks for the photos. For those of us in the West, this really helps, although we probably will never make it to the North Store. Thanks especially for the pix of the WRA's.

Comment

• bob moore
                        • Oct 2009

Any WRA less wood left?

Comment

• Short Round
                          • Oct 2009

Well here I am in the hotel express in port clinton and they pulled the SA SG's. Damn damn damn. That was part of my mission to get a nice one. Well perhaps I can find a nice HRA SG with a good LMR barrel.

Comment

• redheep
                            • May 2010

Originally posted by bob moore View Post
                            Any WRA less wood left?
                            Saw a bunch of them on the rack wednesday Bob. Maybe 15-20.
                            GySgt/USMC Ret

Comment

• Callahan
                              • Jan 2010

I too went to the N. Store (on Thurs. morn) looking to get a couple of SA SG's. Was told they were all taken of the racks Wed. night and sent back to Anniston! CRAP! They said the S. Store oversold and needed them back. I wonder if maybe they were being sent to AZ for the Western Games (Orest said they would be avail there). Oh well, it's still a blast going to the N. Store any time you get a chance.
                              The WRA SG's (IMO) are priced a little high for their cond. (though I'll think differently a few yrs. down the road!)

The SA's were gone but they filled the rack with more HRA's. At least 3 had LMR bbls. w/ ME 0+, saw 1 w/NM op rod, 1 w/perfect RA,SA open box stamp on stock (should have been put on an M1D) and 1 with excellent WRA trigger group with WRA op rod.
                              I left with only a couple of slings. I had my heart set on an SA SG but am kicking myself today for not picking up at least 1 of those nice HRA's, oh well maybe next time.

Comment

Working...
                              X