Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Libra[U
r[/U]ian;463440]Actually, U.S. made M/Ns are not that hard to find - there were enough of them made. What ARE are to find is either an original one or one with U.S. inspection markings.

There are a lot of Remington and Westinghouse mixmasters.
uhh, mixmasters or not, I have owned one (around 1995) and only seen a couple of COMPLETE (uncut. sporterized, etc.) rifles at shows over MANY years.

I would suspect value would be 300-700+ depending upon condition, correctness, etc.

http://mosinnagant.net/ussr/us-mosin-nagants.asp

Last edited by HughUno; 11-13-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Default Mosin Nagant in 30-06

After WW1, some dealers had the idea to set the barrel back and rechamber these rifles to 30-06. This resulted in a very dangerous conversion.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7,62x51mm View Post
After WW1, some dealers had the idea to set the barrel back and rechamber these rifles to 30-06. This resulted in a very dangerous conversion.
all you are doing is repeating what you have read/heard.

Frankly, the MN RECEIVER is more than strong enough (and pressures aren't all that different anyway). There are arguments made that the 54R barrels had to be cut/turned down too far (because of the fatter case/chamber), leaving the BARREL to thin to handle the higher pressures, but there is ZERO history of any of these conversions ever actually failing.

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/pow...d-30-06-a.html
The basic [Bannerman] Mosin conversions were offered two ways. One was a sporter version with cut down stock and bent bolt. The other was a military version which, consisted of a full stock and straight bolt. Both versions had the barrels cut back and rechambered for the 30-06 round. The extractor was modified with the bolt head being blackened. It should be noted, that this is one of the ways of telling a Bannerman conversion, for on the sporter version many Mosins were modified by gunsmiths from the 20-60's and are not true Bannermans. One must be careful on these and these versions tend to get lumped in as Bannerman conversions. To compensate for the 30-06 round, the magazine well was spread out. Usually by flattening the reinforcement rib. These were usually stamped Cal 30 06 in a very small font. Bolts retained their original number and usually, because of the cut back of the barrel, the original serial number was obliterated. Rear sights on the military model was original with no special attention being paid to regraduation. Although, the military model was probably set up for export, no known contracts were done. It was interesting that one lot of 200 military models were sold to the American Fascist Party in the 1930's and as World War II broke out, the American Fascist Party offered the rifle to the CT State Police for the war effort.

Bannerman Rifles

If you go to the above page, they have a list of photo links, showing what the Bannerman conversions looked like. I personally doubt that Bannerman would have put out a dangerous conversion, especially since they were hoping to get military contracts from other countries. I'd be more worried about the miscellaneous conversions done by individual gunsmiths.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughUno View Post
uhh, mixmasters or not, I have owned one (around 1995) and only seen a couple at shows over the years.

I would suspect value would be 300-700+ depending upon condition, correctness, etc.

http://mosinnagant.net/ussr/us-mosin-nagants.asp
Century was selling them (mixmasters, obviously) a few years ago. As a rule, I can find 2-3 at any given time on GB or AA. Again, they are cut-downs or mixmasters in most cases. I've been looking for one, so I do check, from time to time.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7,62x51mm View Post
Hello,

It wasn't just the dealers. The military did some too after Russia defaulted on their contract. The idea was to come up with rifles for training and reserve units.

All conversions of this type should be considered unsafe to fire.

Regards,

Josh
Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch134 View Post
Doing some reading about the Mosin Nagant and found a tidbit about the DCM selling U.S. produced Mosin's for $7 a piece!!!
In the 1920's, $7 was a lot harder to get than it is in 2011.

By almost any measure, an $80 M91 from AIM surplus is probably cheaper in terms of real dollars.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch134 View Post
The article said that too. Just another reason I would love to hear from someone who has one because of how rare they are

I've got two of each; what do you want to know?
They are Mosins, made in the USA and shipped to Russia and now are back here. Lots of history, like M1s.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Nitro Express View Post
In the 1920's, $7 was a lot harder to get than it is in 2011.

By almost any measure, an $80 M91 from AIM surplus is probably cheaper in terms of real dollars.
You won't find M91s for sale at AIM for $80. 91/30s, yes, but not M91s.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Google search the 339th infantry Regiment and you'll find some pictures of U.S. troops armed with MN rifles.The Northern Russian AEF, a truly forgotten part of WW1 and it's aftermath.Like to have a MN with a provenance to that regiment.

Last edited by KRAG-30-40; 11-13-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:17 PM

Default rare to find, a M27 carbine

Tags
cmp, mosin nagant, remmington, westinghouse