X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • warder
    • May 2011

WRA/GHD cartouche with periods

Do real WRA/GHD cartouches have periods between the letters?
  • TrenchKnife
    • Jul 2011

This location seems to be a thorough explination of the cartouches. although no mention of the 'periods'. http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id5.html

here's the info on the wra/ghd :

---
    WRA/GHD Col. Guy H. Drewry

S/N 1,210,000-1,260,000. June 1942- October 1942 WRA / GHD (Winchester Repeating Arms / Guy H. Drewry). Stamp is 1" by 1". Other stamps used on the stocks were the circled 'P' proof mark (with serifs) on the pistol grip, and the Ordnance Wheel with Crossed Cannons. The wheel was .47" in diameter. A 2 or 3 digit number was stamped on the front face of the stock. This was covered by the ferrule.

S/N 1,260,000-2,536,000 October 1942- July 1945. WRA / GHD (Winchester Repeating Arms / Guy H. Drewry). Stamp is .81" by .81". Other stamps used on the stocks were the circled 'P' proof mark (with serifs) on the pistol grip, and the Ordnance Wheel with Crossed Cannons. The wheel was .47" in diameter. A 2 or 3 digit number was stamped on the front face of the stock. This was covered by the ferrule.
    ---

(edit) just found this in another thread: http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html

The real garandites will know better. will be interesting to see what surfaces.
    Last edited by TrenchKnife; 05-15-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• warder
      • May 2011

I didn't think there were supposed to be any periods.
      There is an ebay auction ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-M...item35bc19d8b6 ) ending in a few hours with a stock that is obviously WRA but I don't remember ever seeing a cartouche with periods. It has been on sale for a while but I don't know if it isn't selling because of the high price or the cartouche.

Comment

• warder
        • May 2011

I was digging around found a post about this stock, that Rick B responded to saying there was a box size difference and the one with periods is the earlier one. To paraphrase.
        I already have one that is correct for my WRA. I had never seen one with the periods and this one is too rich for me anyway.
        Last edited by warder; 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Rick B
          • Oct 2009

Shame that GHS is a fake in the picture. Rick B

Comment

• Rick B
            • Oct 2009

One inch GHD's had periods and dropped when they went to the 13/16ths stamp. Rick B

Comment

• aimit
              • Oct 2009

Here is a pic of an original 1" box GHD cartouche (note the periods), and an original small box GHD (no periods).

Comment

Working...
              X