Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2020, 08:13 PM

Default Getting your first M1A

My venture in to Garands, & my M1A started about 4 years ago. I soon realized that without a capable gunsmith, & a fist full of dollars, I would have to learn how to maintain, & do some work on these beauties myself, which I have learned to enjoy, as my knowledge gets better, in very much in part to this forum. Just curious as to how long it took for others to acquire the needed tools, & confidence to work on your stuff.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:46 PM

Right away, cant learn if you dont jump right in
Old 11-16-2020, 05:17 AM

Immediately in boot camp in 1966. You really don't need many tools to get the job done.
RVN 67-68
Old 11-16-2020, 08:06 PM

God bless you guys that served using a M14, & the tool kit issued did get the job done. But, there are better tools to do a lot of those things now that make it easier, & make it less of a chance to ding an expensive rifle up. By the same token, I can understand using tools you are used to using, to do something you can do with your eyes closed.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:06 PM

It's a gradual & variable process. Basic maintenance work with basic tools & skills that can be taken to as involved as you care to go.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:16 PM

FYI The Tony Ben Video's really helped me with some of the minor adjustments and modifications that I need help with later on. He does a great job with simple explanations!

http://www.tonybenm14.com/videos.html
Old 11-19-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayej2156 View Post
My venture in to Garands, & my M1A started about 4 years ago. I soon realized that without a capable gunsmith, & a fist full of dollars, I would have to learn how to maintain, & do some work on these beauties myself, which I have learned to enjoy, as my knowledge gets better, in very much in part to this forum. Just curious as to how long it took for others to acquire the needed tools, & confidence to work on your stuff.
What sort of "work" are you referring to?

As far as shooting them:
It's cleaning them (and MAYBE that one/billion chance you break something).
Both rifles are designed to be cleaned with simple tools.
There a couple, cheap, simple tools that make that easier but not required.

Are you talking about some version of inspecting them?
That isn't complicated either. Unless you want to open the can-o-worms that is called checking headspace. Then be prepared for all sorts of pages, upon pages of hate and discontent.

Swapping parts?
Down to the barreled receiver....... same thing.... just about all the parts can be taken off with simple hand tools.

But yes, I'd wager that more rifles are "broken" by playing with them or worse yet- correcting them, then actually shooting them.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 11-19-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
I'd wager that more rifles are "broken" by playing with them or worse yet- correcting them, then actually shooting them.
Oh yeah !!!!!!!! Gewehr 43, you speak the truth.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM

I was referring to taking the gun apart for cleaning, lubing, replacing parts such as the piston, & gas cylinder, & taking the bolt apart. I have watched some of the Tony Ben videos, & some of the tools he uses appear to make the work easier. To name one, using a 6 point wrench, or socket to remove a stubborn gas cylinder nut makes it less likely to round the thing off, or round it off.