Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2020, 08:28 PM

Default Rem 1903a3/Criterion Barrel Install

Hello Guys,
I need a little info. I hand timed the Criterion barrel and ended up at a little under 5/16" between hash marks. I haven't put it on an angle finder. Is there an ideal hand time?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 11-19-2020, 09:34 PM

My notes say that you want about 15 degrees or 1/8".
Old 11-20-2020, 04:17 AM

Generally as long as it provides an adequate crush it's ideal. Criterions tend to hand index a bit shorter than GI barrels, same with Criterion Garand barrels. If it's tough to index just keep working it by tightening, loosening, tightening, loosening, tightening until the marks line up. I've yet to see one not eventually line up. Be sure to put a very light coating of anti seize on the threads and barrel shoulder. VERY light.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:23 AM

Thanks guys. Your responses are much appreciated!
Old 11-20-2020, 07:28 PM

Default Indexing barrels

A well known armorer showed me a method one time on a brand new Enterprize M14 receiver and a NOS WRA barrel that was at least 30 degrees out of time when hand tightened. He used a little valve grinding abrasive on the receiver face, (don't get the stuff on the barrel threads), and then he did the tightening, loosening trick. Soon the barrel was about 15 degrees and then he carefully cleaned everything and crushed it on. He said he hated those receivers because everything had to be hand fitted because the receivers were undersize.
Anyway, I've never had to use that method on any used GI M1 combo, in fact, I've had to peen the shoulder on a few used barrels to get them to draw up.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:36 PM

I’ve heard of that lapping compound trick before. I’ve had to turn back the shoulder on NOS 1903a3 barrels, but I just did it on a lathe because I have one.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:07 PM

The receiver is from a drill rifle, so I'm sure the welded area is suspect.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:16 PM

I’ve posted the following before....

I build custom rifles and I’ve installed many rifle barrels over the years. 03 and 03A3 receivers that haven’t been messed with will torque NOS barrels without a lathe so don’t be so quick to start cutting. I’ve had barrels with .50 between alignment marks that would torque and align just fine. Requires the correct barrel vice, action wrench, and technique. Cycling torque between the receiver and barrel will give proper alignment 99% of the time.

Messed with receivers, take off barrels, and swapping parts around are a whole other matter.

You have to have proper crush and torque. Simply cutting metal to get the marks closer together is not the correct way of doing it and can cause you issues.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:57 AM

I was specific on my Criterion barrel call out because I did believe the distance of 5/16 between hash marks is excessive. After installing more than a few hundred barrels, I think I have better than a good idea and the tools to do it. I just never installed one on the 03.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:27 PM

5/16 is nothing, and I would say is actually not enough. With proper torque and technique I could torque past those marks by a whole lot.

So stick it in the barrel vise and torque to the marks slowly, if you are happy with the torque and tightness of the barrel call it good. 5/16 is close, if you go past and back up you could be screwed and could lead to way more work.

Last edited by HateCA; 11-21-2020 at 03:34 PM.