Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2020, 01:19 PM

What is the cost to prep brass? I have invested in bulk processing my own. When I consider the equipment cost and time it takes, it can’t imagine it is cheap. Maybe I should start a business?
Old 11-21-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
Poppopbrass's website isn't up yet.
Oops, try this:

https://www.poppopbrass.com/home
Old 11-21-2020, 03:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bml View Post
What is the cost to prep brass? I have invested in bulk processing my own. When I consider the equipment cost and time it takes, it canít imagine it is cheap. Maybe I should start a business?
I prep my own brass. Occasionally I will prep a small batch for a friend. When I think what I would have to charge to make it worth my while, no one could afford it.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 11-21-2020, 05:03 PM

For me, trimming was always the big PITN. When I was at sea, I could use a heavy duty drill press for it and having LOTS of spare time, it wasn't so bad. Now having a home life I'd just as soon let somebody else do it. I used to pay a guy three or four cents a round to pre-process the stuff. Add shipping and it was still worth it. Nowadays the price oughta be higher probably. Add about $25 for shipping both ways. Compare that to a lot of time spent on it... ugh!
Old 11-21-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bml View Post
What is the cost to prep brass? I have invested in bulk processing my own. When I consider the equipment cost and time it takes, it canít imagine it is cheap. Maybe I should start a business?

Google the businesses we've mentioned, their prices are posted.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLogik View Post
I paid to have brass prepped one time. It came back ruined. If you sort your headstamps and prep in smaller batches, it's really not that big of a deal. 30-06 is easy to prep because it is large, and prepping a couple or few hundred cases is not a big deal at all.
And I've had good luck with the 2 I mentioned (thus me posting them)....
Got MY brass back, in very consistent usable shape.

To each his own....... YMMV
Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
And I've had good luck with the 2 I mentioned (thus me posting them)....
Got MY brass back, in very consistent usable shape.

To each his own....... YMMV
I appreciate that, but I had a problem from one that you mentioned. The primer pockets were over-swaged and the primers fell out. Many on my highpower team had the same issue, and we had a lot of alibis that year due to primers in the trigger mechanism.

Certainly, YMMV. I love the folks that do that kind of thing, but reloading issues can cost a lot of time... Much much more than doing the prep.

I rather enjoy prep during these times of sanctioned holidays... I know, lame. Polishing a piece of metal and trimming it is better than watching the news.

OP: if you're willing to pay for prep... Something like a Giraud case trimmer makes all of the difference. I use one for 3006, and trimming is a snap.

Last edited by WindLogik; 11-21-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 06:40 PM

I just got a text from Gregg at Pop Pop Brass, they aren't set up for .30-06 at this time.

Last edited by Louisxllx; 11-21-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added "up."
Old 11-21-2020, 07:30 PM

Why would you want to go to the difficulty of finding someone who does this simple task, mail your empties to them, pay them to do it, then pay for the shipping back?

If you reload, brass prep is integral to the loading process, but far from the most time consuming.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:14 PM

Why? Because like you said I mail them the brass and I have ready to load brass when the mail man drops it back off. Might seem dumb to some people but I’m working 7 days a week 12 hours a day going to school plus fitting in my kids stuff. My son is big into the CAP and my daughter does 4H and plays piano and working on guitar so sh3 has lessons for that. Also I’m trying to teach them about earning what they have so my son is raising butcher hogs and my daughter is doing rabbits. Oh and it’s deer season.