Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2020, 07:23 AM

Default Original Finish on this Stock?

My restored 5.4M SA Garand has a lighter stock shade than typical, and it is lighter in color than the hand guards. Is this stock refinished? The wood stands proud at the butt plate interface and the cartouche appears unsanded. See pics:

https://imgur.com/a/XXLEMKr
Old 11-21-2020, 08:33 AM

Looks good to me.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:54 AM

Looks good to me too. I like the scratch/wood grain line that goes thru the DOD and out both ends.

Last edited by sakorick; 11-21-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:23 AM

Definitely been refinished. Most Post War stocks were fairly Dark Reddish color. Rick B
Old 11-21-2020, 03:11 PM

Just out of curiosity, how was the Dark Red removed from the stock without abrading the DAS and proof-P?
Old 11-21-2020, 03:48 PM

Many post war stocks that are not dark Red. The dark Red color is caused by Raw Linseed Oil which darkens with age But......there were many light colored stocks to begin with, I see plenty of redness in your stock that tells me it was finished with RLO. I still vote it looks just fine to me.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakorick View Post
Many post war stocks that are not dark Red. The dark Red color is caused by Raw Linseed Oil which darkens with age But......there were many light colored stocks to begin with, I see plenty of redness in your stock that tells me it was finished with RLO. I still vote it looks just fine to me.
This is a SA 5.7 so the manufacture date should be very close to Tennboy's rifle. As for the color be your own judge but most SA post war stocks that hasn't been messed with looks just like this.

Old 11-22-2020, 08:31 AM

Thanks to all who have responded. In addition to the posts above, I have have received PMs from members with long histories of Garand collecting who have expressed the opinion that the finish is original. I too have seen light-colored stocks on some SA collector grades at the South Store alongside Garands with the darker stocks.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:54 AM

Original wood, original finish: I gave up on being concerned about that because having been in the Army when the M1 and M14 were issued weapons, there is no telling how many shades of wood finishes on the rifles. Wood was spare parts.

OP's rifle looks good to me. I'd turn the page !
Old 11-22-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Thanks to all who have responded. In addition to the posts above, I have have received PMs from members with long histories of Garand collecting who have expressed the opinion that the finish is original. I too have seen light-colored stocks on some SA collector grades at the South Store alongside Garands with the darker stocks.

Yah What would I know about stocks? Only worked with them for 30 years. Your stock has 100% been refinished. Look at the damaged areas and see how it is filled with oil. Also notice how perfect the rest of the stock is. That many years with damage as seen would absolutely be a flatter finish and not so perfect except for the damaged areas. Hope those experts can retract what they said. Rick B