Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2019, 11:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway
Default Accessing A Members Public Profile Denied?

A member has posted a WTS thread and when checking on his profile I'm denied access to the members public profile. This person has been a member since October...at least 2 months. I would have thought that with the strict enforcement of the FULL NAME and STATE OF RESIDENCE in a profile to sell here that the members profile would be available before allowing a WTS.
http://forums.thecmp.org/member.php?u=171720
Old 01-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

This is the result of a process issue for admin while approving a new member’s forum account, not with the member themselves.

- When someone applies to join the forum, the first step is they complete the application page and submit it.
- Once submitted, their status changes to “Awaiting Email Confirmation” and the member must verify their application for it to proceed.
- Once verified, their status changes to “Awaiting Moderation”
(NOTE: During this stage, they can PM but not post)
- A member of admin must then approve their account to become a “Registered User” where they can post, PM, and have profile visible.

And this is where the problem is arising. We have some new admin folks and when they process the account, they are changing the status to “(COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderation” rather than directly to “Registered User.”
(COPPA stands for the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, passed in 1998, and provides that websites must provide for the protection of personal info, and limit access to adult material pending verification that a user is not under the age of 13.)

Our forum software (vBulletin) allows users to post and PM while in this status, but...other members cannot access their profile.
Which is what you are seeing with this particular member (and many others).

I have notified the admin folks and they are going to have to go back and change that on the affected users, which will take time.

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 01-06-2019, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Thanks Rob, I appreciate your response!
I figured that it wasn't a problem with the member himself, but have not seen a member that has been here as long and I can't access the profile.
Perhaps I'm being overly cautious but before sending money to a new member for an item I would like to know who I'm dealing with, especially for an item that requires payment with PayPal "Friends and Family" only, and would likely not have any recourse through PayPal if the sale went South.
Just saying....
Thank you again for your quick response!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:44 PM

I've seen several like that.

How do we get admin to fix it for them and us?

Should we post the thread in this thread?

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 01-06-2019, 02:35 PM

If you have admin powers - then you can sort all the members who have whatever area they are placed in.

So you sort all users awaiting moderation - etc.

It just takes time, as they have to be done one at a time
Old 01-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Rob,
Thank you for the details of the problem.
Anyone who thinks that this forum just "happens", and want new features added should look at what is currently required just to add a new user.
This is all done by folks who don't get paid, and have to run the forum with as little cost to the CMP.
We get to "hang out" here solely because of the efforts of folks like Rob and all of the other Admins.

You folks do a very good job, and no one should take you for granted.
Maybe next Christmas they can put up an empty spam can for Auction, with the proceeds to get a cup of coffee for the Admins.