Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2019, 08:38 PM

Default New to me 541X

Just picked up a near perfect CMP Remington 541X. It came with the original box, manual and all inserts.
Dark stained Birch stock with some Stripes under the finish. The Williams Sights are excellent and the bluing is unmarked.
These rifles sure have a high comb on the stock though! Not nearly as easy to get a nice sight picture as my 144US.
I may get a chance to run it to the range tomorrow, otherwise it will be a few weeks.
A good day.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usrifle View Post
Just picked up a near perfect CMP Remington 541X. It came with the original box, manual and all inserts.
Dark stained Birch stock with some Stripes under the finish. The Williams Sights are excellent and the bluing is unmarked.
These rifles sure have a high comb on the stock though! Not nearly as easy to get a nice sight picture as my 144US.
Whatever you do, don't alter the stock.

You can get higher front and rear sights that will more comfortably align with the existing comb. Williams makes two versions of their Foolproof Target, regular and high. Several makers make a higher front sight that will match.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post

You can get higher front and rear sights that will more comfortably align with the existing comb. Williams makes two versions of their Foolproof Target, regular and high. Several makers make a higher front sight that will match.
No, i would never alter the stock or anything else on the rifle. I will probably only shoot it once or twice, i will just alter my cheek weld to compensate.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post

I didn't care for the face-scrunching imposed by the original sight setup either, so I got a Remington 513 rear-sight base from Steve Earle Products. The description doesn't state it, but this sight base is designed to accommodate the Redfield Olympic and international. Anyway, it fits perfectly on the 541x (thank you, Remington).

After putting Redfield Olympics on the front and rear, my 541X is a lot more comfortable.

BTW, Steve Earle also has bases for Redfield front sights as well. I used a 0.250 in this case.