Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2019, 10:08 PM

Beyond the whole sonic barrier thing, as a general rule standard velocity ammo ( intended for precision shooting) is made with higher quality control and generally will be much more consistent in regards to a limited velocity spreads consistent powder charges, more consistent bullet weight etc.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
When it goes far enough. Who cares what it does after it goes through the target?
I've always thought the ideal self-defense round would make a nice clean .40 or larger hole on entry and exit and drop to the ground just aft of the target. As a practical matter, projectiles in flight get "wobbly" at some point in their deceleration, and more difficult to predict.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:56 PM

My best results are with CCI Green Tag, always good in rifle or pistols. My best results are using them in my Remington 513T. The same ammunition also works great in my wife's Smith and Wesson Victory pistol. They are costly, but so enjoyable. When letting kids shoot at family events, I take a brick of CCI standard velocity. Decent accuracy, and very quiet in my suppressed Savage bolt rifle. The kids like shooting full soda cans without head gear, listening to the cans spew!
Old 03-03-2019, 11:55 PM

I have two 40x rifles. One is a standard barrel and the other is a heavy barrel. The heavy barrel 40x loves Wolf Match Target the most after testing a multitude of different ammo. As for the Standard barrel 40x the jury is still out. The one thing I do know is that neither one likes HV ammo. The groups are all over the place. So Sub-sonic or standard velocity is what has worked best for me on both rifles.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:47 AM

The more you pay, the better the performance. Just tried some Eley Tenex ($18 a box) and my Kimber 82G loved it; took about 20rds to get the barrel seasoned with their lube. Have heard anecdotal evidence that going from Eley to SK or Lapua the bullets shot good right away. Takes awhile when going to Eley(different wax formula I guess). Tenex sure was nice, but way too expensive otherwise.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:13 PM

I have tried and have a small inventory of good SV type target ammo,

but have also noticed that some of my target guns also do very well with CCI Mini Mags,
Old 03-27-2019, 09:21 PM

Silhouette shooters usually test 22 ammo at 100 meters.
Rules at most ranges require standard velocity for Smallbore due to some targets are cast.
It takes some accurate ammo on those 1/5 scale animals.
Leveraction 22 Silhouette is an open sight game on 1/2 scale animals these are steel cut outs and donít require standard velocity.Some competitors use high velocity on the 100 meter Rams for knockdown power.A little less accurate but target size make up for it.
Quite predictably the top shooters use the expensive ammo especially on the 1/5 animals.
In conclusion what shoots good at 100 meters and is in your price range is the way to go.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:29 PM

No one has mentioned how finicky 22 ammo is in regards to temperature.
Another thing unmentioned is how Accuracy varies from lot to lot of the same ammo.
Silhouette shooters normally buy their ammo in case lots to avoid this.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:06 PM

Default .22 Finiky ammo

BuddyBGood! Shhhh! ".22 ammo. finicky to temperature changes"! [A good point, that many never think about?]
ALL the ammo I shoot is in a GOOD cooler to keep the temperature as stable as possible, [not cold! ] from the time It leaves home until it comes back. Whether at the range, or in a vehicle! In fact I go to some extent to control the temperature of my hunting ammo.
The only way to determine if your ammo is sensitive to temperature changes is to test it under different conditions? It varies considerably with reloading also. Some powders cannot tolerate extreme temperature changes.
After testing this theory years ago, I simply came to the conclusion that I tended to shoot more consistently and accurately when I used ammo that was exposed to less temperature variations. Just remember YMMV
binlookin.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:32 AM

In regards to temperature of 22 ammo in silhouette.What I was referring to is that
I don’t know if any 22 ammo uses a temperature ( insensitive) Powder.
So the shooter may have got their zeros on a crisp spring day to start the season.
Then at another shooting session or match in the hot summer,finds that point of impact has
shifted,or groups become ( Mossberg) shotgun pattern.
At one time there was range talk of how for every 10 degrees of temp above(?) the velocity
increased.I don’t have that proof,just saying.
On HP silhouette I have seen shooters who have had their loads worked up in spring temps that may have been towards the hot end.Then attempt to shoot a match in July 90+,Only to have sticky bolts and drastic elevation changes.
That was in the days when Hodgdon Extreme powders were just showing up,and did not have much following.
This was kind of off topic for HV versus Standard 22 Ammo,but that’s how finicky 22 rifles and ammo can be.