Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2019, 06:50 PM

Could the rifle bedding be changing, not the scope??
Just a thought??
Old 05-09-2019, 07:13 PM

Hi slickshot223,

That is a good thought! I don't think that is a problem.

When I bought the rifle last year, I checked it over well. The stock screws were tight. I uses a inch pound toque wrench to bring it back up to what it was set at originally. I will check it again, as soon as I can. Been on the road for a few days.
I'm betting, I must have bumped it or it slide around in the truck bed some how!
Once reset, it was ON for the rest of the day. I did try to tap it a few times before I left the range .... but it held 0.

Thanks for your reply,
broom --out of my league & know it!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:16 AM

I compete in smallbore prone. Used to use a very well worn 15X Lyman Super Targetspot. Have been using a 20X Unertl for several years now.

These scopes have been used on three different rifles: Remington Model 37, Winchester 52C, and a Remington 40X-B.

Used the scopes for 50 foot indoors and outdoor matches at 50 & 100 yards.

Scopes are transported either in a wooden box or a Freeland gear box - neither are padded.

Both scopes hold their zero without fail.

NOTE: Before you decide the scope is bad you ought to do some testing.

When I first started shooting smallbore I almost wore out the adjusting knobs on both my iron sights and the scope. I'd have a perfect zero after a session then go home and clean the bore. Next time out it seemed the zero had shifted. So I'd make sight adjustments and keep firing. After several shots I'd be adjusting back the other direction. Finally figured out the second series of adjustments got me right back to the zero I had on day #1.

You must bear in mind that .22 rimfire, especially with wax lubricated target bullets are sensitive to both (1) Bore temperature. (2) Clean vs dirty bore.

RECOMMENDATION: Get a good zero on day #1. Afterwards, your choice either clean the bore or leave it dirty. On day #2 make no scope adjustments and start firing. You ought to plot your hits to see the pattern develop.

From a cold bore your first shots will not be on zero. As you continue to fire and the bore heats up and gets dirty the shots will slowly return to the zero you had on day #1.

Even if you start with a dirty bore on day #2 it takes several shots to heat up the barrel and get back to zero.

I know this effect to be true for wax lubed target ammo - don't know about dry plinker ammo.

Standard practice for smallbore shooters is to warm the barrel by putting a few rounds into the berm even before firing on even the sighter bull.

The other things are: (1) Are the scope mount blocks on the barrel loose? (2) It is possible to incorrectly position the scope mount "claws" on the mounting blocks. Especially true if the blocks have burrs. Be very careful when mounting the scope. I snug mine up using a coin and moderate force - no need to get them white knuckle tight.

Hope your scope is OK.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)

Last edited by NMC_EXP; 06-02-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Hi NMC_EXP,

I did have a minor issue with 0 just as you described. ---Clean, dirty / cold or warm bore issues the first two times, I shot the rifle with both iron & scope. I figured that out quickly, as I have seen others have that problem.

I have shot the rifle a H&R 12 two or three times, since I started this thread.
I'm happy to say the scope has not moved. I don't seem to have the problem two of my pal'sl of mine have with the need to adjust the scope each time, he shoots it. I sent them a link to this post.
I guess I must have been plain clumsy! As soon as I get a chance I'm going to build a White Oak box like the original UNERTL wood box. i know I can get UNERTL decals for originality. I might build a period wood box for the H&R too. I'm the old guy now, but I always remember the old guys back then with their quality wood box's.

I did check all the problem areas others mentioned & all was well!
I have since started to take the tiny amount of slop out of the mount & lube the rail very lightly as one poster recommended. "It WORKS" groups were a bit tighter!

Thanks you & the other posters for well written and informative posts, it has helped me & I hope others.
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 06-02-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 03:49 PM

I had hardly ever used a scope until my eyes betrayed me and I started shooting smallbore.

I use old rifles equipped with the Redfield style scope "blocks" so I bought scopes that would work without needing to do any modifications.

I have been amazed how the scope can go off and on and still be on zero.

I'll reiterate my comment about being sure the scope mount has properly engaged the block. I get both mounts barely snug then slide the mount/scope slightly fore and aft while continuing to tighten the thumbscrew. At some point you will feel the boss in the mount start to engage with it's halfmoon recess in the block. Stop at this point fully tighten the thumbscrew.

Once I got distracted while installing the scope. Came back, picked the rifle up and the scope slid off - I had not fully tightened it. Managed to hold on to the rifle and catch the scope. Not a good way to start a match.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 06-02-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
. . . . . .I get both mounts barely snug then slide the mount/scope slightly fore and aft while continuing to tighten the thumbscrew. At some point you will feel the boss in the mount start to engage with it's halfmoon recess in the block. Stop at this point fully tighten the thumbscrew. . . . . .
This is exactly the correct way to install . . . .

It will insure you do not damage the “knife” edges on the thumb screws.

Use good judgement when tightening these screws.