Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2019, 10:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltgrabber View Post
Because they don't want people taking them for reasons yet to explain. I was at the new South Store the first day it opened, took photos & later posted them. They were immediately removed by one of the moderators with no explanation.
The official response.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
Ok, enough speculation on this already.

The reason for the new no-picture policy is there were pictures taken by both some volunteers and people visiting who got to see some of what the CMP had in storage that upset some in the DoD.
One of the pics that got alot of attention was one of 1911s stacked on a table, which obviously got much press and is posted in another forum.
The others were of actual rifles...many rifles in boxes back in the storage and armorers area.
This, as well as the release of other privy info garnered while volunteering (some right here on the forum), played a significant part in why the volunteer program was scrapped.

No need for a deep-dive, or the bents, but I would hope that everyone can understand the current political and perception sensitivities that are affecting ALL governmental agencies. Anyone currently working in the govt, especially the DoD can understand this.

And the 1911 issue has garnered alot of attention...for every one of us who has contacted a congressional representative asking FOR the release and sale of 1911s, there are at least as many, and probably more, voicing concerns with them AGAINST it.
Many folks seem to live in a vacuum and can't understand the concern the DoD, and by extension the govt, has about releasing the 1911s. Rifles such as the Garand and 1903 are one thing and are rarely, if ever used in a crime. Pistols are altogether a different animal, and FBI crime, as well as CDC statistics will bear this out (and why they are frequently used by action groups pursuing their agenda).

With that said, can you imagine the backlash and intense publicity if even ONE 1911...provided by the Army of all things...AND sold by the CMP...is used in a murder, especially a mass shooting?
CMP would be shut down quicker than gap-letter IHCs selling out!

That's why there is so much more to the logistics, pricing and restriction limits to the 1911s than simple economics...it's also why there was the silliness about tracking of serial #s and wording limiting the release to 10,000 at a time.
Yet, Mark and several of our elected officials are working very hard and behind the scenes to try and make this a reality.

So, once the flesh was pulled back, the picture issue then encompassed the other aspects of CMP sales and operations...especially the shots of dozens, or even 100s of rifles. Yes, you can see this in anywhere 'Murica at anywhere gun shop.
The huge difference is the weapons, combat weapons at that...are provided by the Army AND sold by a congressionally-chartered organization. As other Rob points out, just not good publicity, particularly in these times and would certainly fail the NY Times front page litmus test!

Hope that helps explain it...beyond that, it is what it is, the cheese has now moved and life will go on, like it or not.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=27
Old 06-22-2019, 10:54 AM

In other words, "This ain't Facebook" - and as far as I'm concerned, that's a VERY good thing indeed.

My Feedback Thread
Old 06-22-2019, 03:05 PM

Default Saturday closing report

There were 52 rifles remaining at close. There was a minor restock during the day.

IHC SG/FG, 30, one with IHC stock, lots of LMR barrels.

WRA SG/FG, 8

1903, 3

CMP Specials/Field, 9

M1C SA SG, 1, beautiful rifle with serialized correct mount, but Marlin barrel/ FG 1.

Other rifles remain about the same.

Good luck on your searches.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:25 PM

I guess Google maps didn't get the word on no pictures. There are plenty there if you type in CMP South Store. Just ignore the pictures of the old store that are included.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 AM

Default pictures

Yes, you can find pictures of the D-Day matches 2018 complete with me purchasing an M1 at the southstore. I was a little more than annoyed. Especially when no one knew who the photographer was with. Turned out she was with, yes, Bloomberg Business Weekly. No permission was asked or granted by her. She had taken pictures of every aspect of the matches. I told Mark and Steve and they didnt know who she was with. We found out later though. Especially when their hit piece called Organization That Teaches Kids to Love Guns came out, we knew who she was with then. Now they have sign up at TMP saying all members of the press must register. So I guess CMP is just trying to keep the camel's nose out from under the tent unless permission is granted,
Old 06-26-2019, 09:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

What are the current store prices of a service grade and field grade WRA Garand?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 AM

$950 an $850, respectively. Add 10% sales tax to these figures.