Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 PM

My tag just said "RR frame GI slide." The slide was Colt and I traded with another member for a RR slide, and I love the fact that the frame and slide match. Remember, when they were rebuilt there was no differentiation as to makers so your pistol could have just as easily had matching slide and frame. Do what makes you happy.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
My tag just said "RR frame GI slide." The slide was Colt and I traded with another member for a RR slide, and I love the fact that the frame and slide match. Remember, when they were rebuilt there was no differentiation as to makers so your pistol could have just as easily had matching slide and frame. Do what makes you happy.
Glad you found someone to trade with! I agree! Wish I could find someone to swap my RR MSH and slide stop for colt parts! Esp if they were rebuilt at Anniston!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJ50 View Post
"My Uncle Billy took it off a dead Kraut SS officer on Iwo Jima! That ain't rust, it's from blood."
My vote: Leave it be.
Remember the Danish Navy Garands of a few years ago. Lot of switching and changing--and eventual regret once those Garands became a subset. Won't get into the "VN Rebuilds."
I do remember those (2002), because I have one with VAR barrel and the Navy anchor stamp on the sight cover. Have not changed a thing other than some new wood as the original was getting sloppy around the receiver (of course still have it, it's numbered to the receiver and has a bunch of cartouches). You gotta be crazy to erase that history. It's actually my first CMP Garand, my first National Garand match gold medal with it, and it continues to impress today. Here's the rapid fire group it just shot at the D-Day matches.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 AM

Some of the Danish rifles had small stickers with Serial #, Date, "Skytte" [Shooter Name], Windage and Elevation Kliks at 300 meters.
Don't you wish you had bought more of those Dane's with the VAR barrels?
Old 06-25-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJ50 View Post
Some of the Danish rifles had small stickers with Serial #, Date, "Skytte" [Shooter Name], Windage and Elevation Kliks at 300 meters.
Don't you wish you had bought more of those Dane's with the VAR barrels?
Yes, and my sticker is still around somewhere....
Old 06-25-2019, 07:55 PM

General,

I had the same configuration as you on my CMP gun.

I didn't care about other parts but I did want my slide to match my frame. Like you I posted a note here on the Forum.

I made a trade with a guy from Minnesota. He had the opposite configuration is mine. We traded photos to ensure Parkerization was close. We made the trade back in March and we were both very happy.

As I've said before on previous posts, the armorer that refurbished your gun could just a likely pulled a Ithaca slide out of the bucket vs your Remington Rand slide nothing particularly historic about that.

Make the trade and enjoy it.

Mustang

Last edited by Mustang25; 06-26-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:51 PM

I have a 1945 Colt with an Ithaca slide. One side of the slide's finish has deteriorated parkerization, The entire gun is being reparkerized. I consider that maintenance and not changing it. Unfortunately, the paperwork will still say Field condition. In my humble opinion, doing maintenance on the gun does not decrease it value or change its history.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:29 PM

Loose....Completely agree...repark it and enjoy shooting it!
Old 07-04-2019, 11:40 PM

Donít trade
Old 07-05-2019, 02:59 PM

Reparking the slide is not maintenance and most assuredly decreases the value of any collectable firearm