Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 PM

Question Can you help me improve NM Collector Software?

It's time to plan my next release of NM Collector Software and I am looking for suggestions.

One of the biggest things I plan to work on is the whole Clear, Revert, Keep and Write buttons strategy. I took that approach based on feedback from users of my old NM Gun Collector software. That package automatically saved every change that was made. Well, I had people complain that changes they did not intend to make were saved. They wanted some way to prevent that from happening. So, I came with the current approach used in NM Collector Software.

Of course, some people love it while others hate it. I'm beginning to think I may have been better off with the old approach. So, in my next release, I am going to revisit how and when data is saved to disk. I'm thinking of making the current approach an option that people can use if they like it or not use if they don't like it. I'm thinking the default should be to automatically save the data when it is changed and skip the whole Clear, Revert, Keep and Write approach.

What do you think?

Please send me your thoughts on this and any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Lightbulb Food for Additional Thought and Discussion

Features for Next Release of NM Collector Software

For Sure:
* Digitally sign all installations and executables with Certificate from Certification Authority (in progress now).
* Auto save (write to disk) option with customer specified time interval.
* Auto backup option with customer specified time interval.
* Auto update option to keep changes automatically when changed.
* Comment fields for receipt and disposition.
* Adjust activation message on splash screen - no need to request activation when you have a lifetime activation!
* Option to exclude "Container Folder" only items from reports. There is the ability to just create folders in the tree view to hold other items. These folders can also be items themselves. Need flag to determin if folder is an item that should show in the reports or just a container for other items only.
* If click Delete button a warning should come up asking "are you sure you want to Delete this item." Alternative - Trash folder with the option to empty it?
* Revisit Android and iOS interfaces.
* Make export / import processes consistent.
* Remove "android" from export / import menu items or make a separate iOS menu items.
* Put button to Satisitics page in more locations.
* Right click for paste to notes and comments fields.

Possibly:
* Replace "Keep" and "Write" buttons with a single "Save" button.
NOTES:
* "Keep" saves current changes to memory.
* "Write" saves all data to disk.
* Option: List View alternative to Tree View.
* Sort in Tree View - and/or - List View.
* More flexible date entry format.

Suggestions Still Under Consideration:
* Option: Auto hide collections with no data. Allow for showing if decide to enter data.
* Link items from one collection type to another. For example, link ammo to firearms.
* Print a Range Card for any particular weapon to go to the range. "Items like numbers of rounds fired, failures, temp, wind condtions, location etc would be great. Then when you come back if you could enter the info into a file by date you have a history of the weapon in question. Also if you could assign ammunition to a firearm so when you enter in your number of shots fired, it automatically adjusts your quantity for that lot of ammunition when you enter in your range card results."
* Insurance Inventory Report sorted by Serial Number to make it easier to look up items. NOTE: can use "find" button for this, or sort by Serial Number in Statistics window, or export current Insurance Inventory Report to Excel (or Open Office) to sort however you like.
* Load multiple pictures at once. Why not enable drag and drop? Can we see thumbnails when adding pictures?
* Bulk Deletes.
* Ability to print pictures individually.
* Report with 4 pictures per page.
* Filter / Find in Stats window.
* Improved check for update. NOTE: I do not want to automate this because I do not want the system accessing the internet unless specifically told to do so. May add a check for update button or menu item.
* Maintenance Due Report.
* Report Wizard to build custom reports - selected fields, sort order, filter, etc.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:18 PM

I'm a geek, but not a computer geek, so let me appologize in advance for bad terminology.

For the ammo records, it would be useful to have an entry for how big the batch was originally, and what percentage remains which would reduce current value automatically. It would also be useful to have an entry as to where it was stored.

Also, the way it is set up now, "Target" ammo is separate from "Home Defense", but in the subentries one is called on to enter whether it is Target or Home Defense. I think I am going to use the subentry to differentiate between the various types of Target ammo: Match, practice, plinking, etc. I think I will change the Heading "Home Defense" to something like "Expanding", with subentries such as Defense, Hunting, etc.

If you could come up with a system for cutting down the size of pictures to something the program would not reject, this would be helpful. I am also occasionally trying to add a picture from my Kodak picture files, but I just get a black screen on the NM Collector screen.

I have accumulated a lot of bayonets, some for rifles I do not have. I believe a lot of people around here have. I don't have many knives. I'd like to hear comments from other users on what they changed the captions to.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 PM

Thumbs up Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJudge View Post
I'm a geek, but not a computer geek, so let me apologize in advance for bad terminology.
No problem - thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
For the ammo records, it would be useful to have an entry for how big the batch was originally, and what percentage remains which would reduce current value automatically. It would also be useful to have an entry as to where it was stored.
Got it. You can add a field for the quantity and storage location to just about any tab - I would suggest the description tab. I will have to think about where to place the percentage remaining that would reduce the current value. Great idea! Thanks!

Quote:
Also, the way it is set up now, "Target" ammo is separate from "Home Defense", but in the sub entries one is called on to enter whether it is Target or Home Defense. I think I am going to use the sub entry to differentiate between the various types of Target ammo: Match, practice, plinking, etc. I think I will change the Heading "Home Defense" to something like "Expanding", with sub entries such as Defense, Hunting, etc.
I'm not sure I understand. I know I provide those options in the default "use" field in the Identification tab. As a side note, one could argue that data belongs in the Description tab but I was trying to keep all of the data on one tab if possible. It sounds like you may have created sub folders in the tree view for "Home Defense" and "Target." Is that what you are describing or is there something else?

Quote:
If you could come up with a system for cutting down the size of pictures to something the program would not reject, this would be helpful. I am also occasionally trying to add a picture from my Kodak picture files, but I just get a black screen on the NM Collector screen.
I have an error message pop up asking you to reduce the picture size when the program thinks the picture being added will be too large. However, it is an approximation because the maximum picture size really depends on how much memory your system has available. I suppose I could reduce the thresh hold level at which the error message appears but then it would prevent some people who's machines can handle larger pictures from being allowed to add them. As another thought, I suppose it could just be a warning and let them add it anyway. Also, in the Android app I actually post the warning and then provide a button to resize the image. I suppose I could do that in the desktop app. Something to ponder for the next release.

Regarding the picture that comes up as completely black, as you know, that is a good indication that it's size should be reduced. You can find out for your own system what that optimal size should be depending on whether you get the black picture or not. One thing to consider is how big of a picture do you really need to store on your computer and then set your camera accordingly. I tend to use 800 x 600 which seems to be adequate for me but others have successfully used larger pictures.

Quote:
I have accumulated a lot of bayonets, some for rifles I do not have. I believe a lot of people around here have. I don't have many knives. I'd like to hear comments from other users on what they changed the captions to.
You might want to consider creating a new collection type for bayonets. You can start by copying an existing collection type (perhaps knives?) and modifying the copy. That way you get to keep the original in case you happen to find a use for it later. Here is a step by step example of how to duplicate a collection type which is your first step in creating a new collection type based on an existing one.

Thanks again. I hope other people comment on the headings for bayonets!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:27 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmCollector View Post
No problem - thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure I understand. I know I provide those options in the default "use" field in the Identification tab. As a side note, one could argue that data belongs in the Description tab but I was trying to keep all of the data on one tab if possible. It sounds like you may have created sub folders in the tree view for "Home Defense" and "Target." Is that what you are describing or is there something else?
Sorry, I was not looking at the latest version of the database. I do include a "Home Defense" folder in the Ammo tree view so I do understand what you are talking about now. You can keep or remove the folders in the tree view according to whatever makes the most sense to you.

Thanks!

Clay
Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 PM

I'd like to see some of the field size restrictions expanded. I've added some custom fields to the ID page and the 32 character limitation is a pain. If for some reason can not be expanded can you lock the text field to only 32 characters? This would make input much easier.

Thanks for the great product!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstra View Post
I'd like to see some of the field size restrictions expanded. I've added some custom fields to the ID page and the 32 character limitation is a pain.
I will certainly add this to my list of things to investigate. I should be able to make that an option for those who want it. It will require that a database conversion be run but that should not be a problem since it will be going from a smaller field size to a larger field size.

Quote:
If for some reason can not be expanded can you lock the text field to only 32 characters? This would make input much easier.
Yes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Thanks for the great product!
You're welcome and thank you for the suggestion!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM

Can you start a library of Data Sheets? The Garand one you have is good, but you need 1903, 1903A3, 1917, Krag, SMLE, something broad for Mausers, SKS, something really broad for AK's, plus something for semiauto pistols and something for revolvers.

This board would be a decent place to ask about all of them. Culver's Shooting Page would probably be the best place to ask for the first 4, and a decent one about the 5th and 6th. There are at least two Mauser boards, there is an SKS board, there are a lot of AK boards, and there are lots of pistol boards.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Can you start a library of Data Sheets? The Garand one you have is good, but you need 1903, 1903A3, 1917, Krag, SMLE, something broad for Mausers, SKS, something really broad for AK's, plus something for semiauto pistols and something for revolvers.

This board would be a decent place to ask about all of them. Culver's Shooting Page would probably be the best place to ask for the first 4, and a decent one about the 5th and 6th. There are at least two Mauser boards, there is an SKS board, there are a lot of AK boards, and there are lots of pistol boards.
That's a great idea. We don't have to wait for the next release for that. If you know of any post links to them here and people can start using them right away.

Thanks,