Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2018, 10:39 AM

Default Puzzled M1 Garand

I'm puzzled. I have my M1's sights adjusted so that when I'm firing standing, the group is centered on the target. When I shot prone, the group impacts roughly about 7-8 inches lower. Any idea why this is happening? Any solutions?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 AM

It maybe that your cheek weld and sight picture are changing slightly while shooting offhand Vs prone.
I have a friend who is a long time experienced competitor who has to adjust his sights after the mandatory reload in the prone rapid. He fires his 2rnd clip then adjusted his sight left 2 clicks. If he doesn't the other 8 always end up with a nice group to the right. It's just that slight change in sight picture.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2018, 11:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Are you using a sling in the prone position? Do you check your natural point of aim when in prone?

Last edited by Shomway; 12-20-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:56 PM

No, I'm not using a sling. I have not double checked my NPA, but I will next time I'm at the range.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:21 PM

Assuming 100yds.

You're shooting standing, then shooting unsupported prone with no sling?
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 12-20-2018, 05:47 PM

Yes to the 100yds. sometimes I shoot standing first and other times prone first.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:40 AM

I never have seen significant differences in poi using different positions once the rifle is sighted in, exception being sling tension effects. Furtermore, very few shooters would consider their offhand stable enough to zero in a rifle. Seems to me that further testing is in order. Good Shooting. ....
Old 12-21-2018, 10:18 AM

Ceresco,
When I first received this rifle, I sighted it in at 100yds from a concrete bench, using a sandbag front and rear. Since then I have spent most of my time with the rifle, trying to improve my standing score (several hundred rounds). Along the way, I would occasionally fire from the prone position but I don't recall having this poi change until recently.

I've tried to determine what may have changed along the way, but nothing has come to mind yet. I recently got new prescription glasses with progressive lens (first time for progressives) and have had a terrible time trying to shoot with them, so I switched back to my old pair, so that's obviously not the problem.

I agree with you though, more experimentation is in order.

Thanks to all who have responded.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:00 PM

Look at how/where you are placing the butt of the rifle into your shoulder and how much your head rests on the stock between the 2 positions....

Elevation changes like that could be due to cheek pressure on the stock and then follow thru...………………...
Old 12-23-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Look at how/where you are placing the butt of the rifle into your shoulder and how much your head rests on the stock between the 2 positions....

Elevation changes like that could be due to cheek pressure on the stock and then follow thru......
I will follow your suggest as soon as I return home in about a week.