Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Auction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Default SA M1-C receiver 3512325 question

Regarding the M1-C receiver currently listed on the auction page, do the base pin and screw holes appear properly aligned/configured? I was of the opinion that the pin and screw holes' horizontal centerlines should be perfectly aligned, i.e. share a common horizontal centerline. The pin holes on the auction receiver appear lower than they should be.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:02 PM

They look correct to me. The receivers were sent to Griffin & Howe to be drilled and tapped. All were placed into a jig designed to accurately drill and tap each hole to align with the G&H receiver base.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:03 PM

Default Plugged M1C

I see where an SA-52 marked, plugged M1C 3374542 is on auction. Is it easy to remove those plugs and again convert it to M1C? If so, the price on it today is darned good for what is essentially a service grade M1C.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:33 PM

If it is marked SA-52, it was never configured as an M1-C. It will never be "legit".
Old 06-29-2019, 03:59 PM

But you could buy it cheap and it is still a REAL M1-C receiver, send it to Griffin and Howe and have a real base and scope mount installed, build yourself a vintage sniper rifle that will never lose value, because it was a real receiver.

Far more receivers were drilled and tapped than ever made into M1C's, there should only be about 3,000 "legit" rifles, I's bet there are double that out there at the moment .
Old 06-29-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
If it is marked SA-52, it was never configured as an M1-C...........
John,

How can you explain all the loose M1C mounts and bases that have matching serial numbers to SA-52 marked receivers? Wouldn't it be safe to say those rifles were M1C's at one time if matching bases and mounts are evident?

Old 06-29-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
John,

How can you explain all the loose M1C mounts and bases that have matching serial numbers to SA-52 marked receivers? Wouldn't it be safe to say those rifles were M1C's at one time if matching bases and mounts are evident?
I did not know that the matching-numbered bases/mounts existed. All the same, how did these receivers become "SA-52" if they were not "un-M1Ced."
Old 06-29-2019, 07:18 PM

Rolling Thunder is definitely the expert on these, but I think the story is that at least some of the SA-52ís were complete M1Cs, but were converted back to non-Cís for Korea. If you convert it BACK to a C, it will be painfully obvious that you did because of the SA-52 inscription.

I think they are better off being left plugged rather than being turned into a pseudo-C kind-of restoration.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeroub View Post
If you convert it BACK to a C, it will be painfully obvious that you did because of the SA-52 inscription.
My point exactly.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:58 PM

Army Ordnance had a habit of converting sniper rifles back to standard service rifles once they were declared obsolete. Either a small portion or all of them.

For instance around 1929, the Army ordered all Warner Swasey and A5 snipers in inventory to have the mounts removed and the holes plugged.

I know I do have docs in the middle of 1951 from SA, saying that they were done with the M1C and everything would be the M1D going forward.

It correlates pretty well to that SA52 rebuild date with some of the C's being converted back to a standard rifle.

I actually located a file at the Archives that might have info on this. I'm pulling it this week. Cross your fingers.

Last edited by cplnorton; 06-30-2019 at 08:08 PM.