Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2019, 07:14 PM

Default 10x Unertl scope- looses it's 0 during transport?

Hi All,

Backround info:

I bought this used 10x external adjustment Unertil scope in excellent shape about 8 months ago. It's clear & sharp. It's very accurate once adjusted.
I always wanted one, but could not afford it,with ever growing home & family needs.

The Question!
Is it "normal" for this type of scope to loose it's 0 sometimes.
In my case two out of about ten or twelve visits.
Apparently during transported or a bump, even with a total of 4" of egg crate type foam in a hard plastic case ?
I only know two shooters that use this type of Unertl scope in this area now.

Both seem to have the same or worse issues as I do.
"Just get use to it, it's the nature of the beast" Everything seems to be tight in my case!

I am a old guy now, never recall any of the many Unertl scope shooters in the past, complain about this problem. Sadly, they have all have passed on.

To a man, they would let the "KID" --me-- shoot their rifles & pistols.
I think, that is one of the reasons I HAD to buy one

Do I need to buy a case with that firm pre cut square block foam. That you cut out where needed to really hold the rifle in place tighter than the egg crate type of foam.

Thanks for any help or guidance.
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 05-01-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:55 PM

Is everything the same with the rifle? Same ammo? Same conditions? Are you writing down what the micrometer setting was?

I never had a problem, that was really bad, but always need fine tuning at the beginning of shooting, but that’s why you get sighters, right?

My Feedback thread

Looking for SA M1 2417731 - its out there, the CMP sold it in 2012!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:17 PM

I'm not sure how it would loose adjustment. The only thing I can possibly think of, there are internal plunger type springs in the mount that keep tension on the scope.
Those internal plunger type springs keep that constant pressure on the scope tube so it doesn't move and returns to zero.

Maybe if one of those internal plunger springs in the mount was weak? That is about I can really think of to be honest.

Or what Neil suggested, especially with the ammo. You will have to adjust it anytime you switch types of ammo.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:05 AM

I have a few of these type of scopes.

Realizing that the glue that cements the elements of the lenses together, is DECADES old now . . . . .I back off the recoil spring to the point that it NO LONGER returns the scope to battery after each shot. (I simply reach up and MANUALLY pull the scope back.)

I believe it’s the “slamming” of the scope, against the stop-ring of the forward-most mount, that is detrimental to the lens . . . .even more-so than the recoil.

Also, while pulling the scope back, I give it a slight clockwise twist to make sure all play is removed from the key-way of the Pope rib.

I certainly hope you don’t have a case of “delamination” of your lenses due to dried-out glue!

Another item to check is to make sure your BASES are screwed down tight . . . .your scope may be fine, BUT . . . .

Are the bases actually fastened down tight?

Also, to cplnorton’s point . . . .

I once bought an old Lyman 5A scope that someone had screwed down the elevation knob so tight, that the spring-loaded plunger had jammed fast inside the mount! Was the devil-to-pay to free it up again, without marring the mount!

Last edited by JimF; 05-02-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:00 PM

Never had a problem with Unertl or Lyman external adjustment scopes. I don't leave them on the rifles. I take them off and put them in the box.

My AR Service Rifle scope has had the knobs turn inadvertently going in and out of a rifle case (I'm guessing).

xllx@msn.com
Old 05-03-2019, 08:22 PM

Hi Guys,

Same ammo same range about 6 inch's high & to the right!
I took the bolt out looked down the barrel looked through the scope & started moving the scope to the correct place! It shot well for the rest of the day.
I will double check all mounts & see if both springs have the same tension!

Thanks for ALL your very helpful reply's!
broom
Old 05-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Depending on how far you are shooting that’s a lot of change, 24 clicks at 100 yds. The only thing that I can think of that could cause that is the adjusting screw may be damaged (stripped) and will hold well enough most of the time and slip some while it is stored. There is a lock screw in the top corner of the mount and if someone has tried to adjust the scope with it locked this could be the result, best to leave this screw loose and never use it. I like others have posted do not leave my scope on the rifle.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:56 AM

Hi Nate,

I remember the old guys, ALWAYS kept them in a wood box. It appeared to be part of the legend of sharp shooting as this old guy recalls it..
They always seemed to be cleaning & tinkering doing their magic to them but they COULD shoot!

I can build a box for my scope out of 3/8 or 1/2 white oak, with the typical wood cut outs for the scope to sit in. I think that was the original wood used
Someone on the board, was kind enough to measure his & sent me all the needed sizes. I know I can buy new made Uniterl decals for it. So it should look original, or at least close when I'm done.
The wife has been very ill so this & other projects have been on hold.

I built a WW-II period wood shipping box for my US property marked 44 US. It's olive green drab with white stenciled military markings, including Rail Road Express (red)< bonded > shipping label on it.
Check your PM's please

Thanks for your interest in my problem,
broom
Old 05-04-2019, 04:05 PM

Sorry to hear of your wife's illness, will include her in our prayers. I keep my scope in a zippered pile lined case, probably does not provide the protection a box does but I always handle it carefully. If you find what is causing your zero shift post it for the benefit of us who use these scopes.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 PM

Hi Nate,

Will do! Been shooting a long time & still learn more each time, I go to the range or post on a REAL shooting board like this one!

Enjoy each day,
broom