Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 PM

I looked at two drill rifles at the Eastern Games and they had both been worked heavily at the barrel receiver weld and the bottom of the barrel where the op-rod saddle runs. My personal opinion is that the "welder" who de-milled them got a bit happy with the welding stick and the drills couldn't be put back together and have the op-rod cycle at all for manual of arms. Then someone whittled away to get clearance and to remove slag from bottom of barrel. Even after the grinding there was PLENTY of weld left. I passed.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM

I hope people that are buying drills to reactivate them are at least etching the leg or something to let future owners know what they’re getting. I know people will say “this is my toy” but you could get hit by a bus tomorrow and your family will keep or sell stuff off with zero backstory.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:39 PM

When you can buy a safe to shoot field grade for 650 I don't understand why someone would even want to buy then reactivate a drill. In my opinion in the civilian world a drill is good for displays or parts. Nothing else.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronwall View Post
When you can buy a safe to shoot field grade for 650 I don't understand why someone would even want to buy then reactivate a drill. In my opinion in the civilian world a drill is good for displays or parts. Nothing else.
Agreed. I don't get it either.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Also this. Pay $650, keep the receiver and sell the parts. Could easily get $500 for run of the mill parts so you pay $150 for a guaranteed good receiver.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I agree, to buy one with the sole purpose of reactivating, no, it is not worth the money or time spent. However I did buy one once that had two very valuable parts. A great GAW stock and an unmodified WIN-13 Op-Rod. After I stripped all the parts off the rifle, I had a receiver with a tiny weld with no heat discoloration at the barrel and an un-welded op rod track. This became a project to reactivate just because I could and the part was sitting there. In this particular scenario, the juice was worth the squeeze.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:29 AM

Why wouldn't you do a thorough inspection in the store before purchasing a drill rifle?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckgunman View Post
I agree, to buy one with the sole purpose of reactivating, no, it is not worth the money or time spent. However I did buy one once that had two very valuable parts. A great GAW stock and an unmodified WIN-13 Op-Rod. After I stripped all the parts off the rifle, I had a receiver with a tiny weld with no heat discoloration at the barrel and an un-welded op rod track. This became a project to reactivate just because I could and the part was sitting there. In this particular scenario, the juice was worth the squeeze.
+1 to the above.
Back when the CMP was selling Mk2Mod1 barreled receivers it was possible to purchase Drill rifles as a source of many good parts.
The only way it was really worth it though, is if the Drill Rifle had nice wood, and some did. I got a GAW stockset on one that I still have it was so nice.
One of the Drill rifles I purchased I mentioned earlier in this thread had such minor welding at the barrel/receiver junction, and no sign of heat on the receiver ring and no weld in the op-rod channel that I have no problem using the original finish receiver on a project for my use.
Below is a 7.62X51 M1D Tanker that I could just not resist putting together. Some day I might break it back down but for now I take it deer hunting on occasion.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:00 AM

Their drill rifles are way overpriced. You can get a nice rack grade for around... what? 580?
Old 05-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollybob View Post
Their drill rifles are way overpriced. You can get a nice rack grade for around... what? 580?
Drill rifles and Rack grades of which models: M1 Garands, 1903 Springfields, or what?

Last I saw earlier this year, M1 Garand Drill rifles were going for $380 without tax. I haven't seen an M1 Rack Grade in the last five years. M1D Garands go for $955 right now, but there are no M1D Drill rifles to compare them to. I've seen 1903A3 Springfield Drill rifles go for more than the M1 drill rifles, but that's comparing apple to oranges; same with 1903 Springfields. I have no idea what a 1903A3 Rack Grade would sell for since I've never seen them offered.

Drill rifles may be "way overpriced" to you and me, but they still sell out pretty quickly. Can't really compare today's prices to what these models cost five or more years ago. The market has changed and I don't have a time machine.

>sigh< Ahh! for the good old days!

Rick