Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

Sounds like a great father/son road trip!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM

OKC Jim and everyone,

We go to the Amish Country area of Ohio quite often. I told him that he better pack a bag because we were leaving Friday evening and may do lunch in the Amish Country on Saturday. He said that would be pretty cool. Then I said we could eat there on our way back from Port Clinton. He had the deer in the headlight look and said, what is Port Clinton. I told him it is where the CMP North Store is. He just stood there, mouth open and said, what are we going there for? I said, to get a Garand. He was silent and then he asked if I was joking. He has asked me 100 times already what time we are leaving. How long does it take to get there, etc. We live in Huntington, WV so it is about five hours. He is 13 and is quite the shot. He already wants to know if he can shoot it on Sunday. I will post again after our trip and hopefully take some pics.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Enjoy the trip, and the memories.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Sounds like a great father and son trip. Enjoy the trip to the store. The guys behind the counter are a great help in picking a rifle out. Have a safe trip and post some pictures.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:24 PM

Cooool, I wanna go
Old 10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Banned

Default Correct Grade Springfields and H@R Garands

I was at the CMP South Store right at the End of Sept,Beginning of OCT,I stayed From wed thru Sat,if you plan on making a long Drive there,id Reccomend being trhere at opening and go straight to the counter,and find out what came in,they seem to get small quanitys of different rifles,almost every day or so and they sell so fast that early in the AM there is no use in them puttin them on the Racks in the store,Aske Leon at the Back Counter,He is a heck of a Nice guy and will bend over backwards to help you find a good Collectable, rifle or one that suits your Shooting needs,I was threr 4 Days straight and I bought stuff I could use all four Days at Prices I could not Touch at Home,or as in the Ammo,the 30.06 Ammo in the can deal for 250 rounds on a Belt for 90 bucks a can was awesome,So awesome I bought 9 cans,I was expecting the HXP Greek Corrosive ammo,But the First Day i got to my Hotel i opened it and it was beautiful ammo,1954 Remington non corrosive,Every Day I went i bought 3 Ammo Cans an d should have bought more for my stash,as you can shoot it linked,or take it out of the links save them and use them again,There is a price list on the post by the Armors window in the rear of the building thats up to date on what they have avaliable,leon pointed out that ammo in the can to me,,in some cans were actually a few rounds heavy,but never less than 250 rounds,The best part about making the Drive is,its well worth it,I live in Florida on the central east coast,And I wont Hesitate to make that Drive again,The employees are Super helpfull,there kind and very considerate of your needs,Rene is who took care of the Paperwork on my 3 Garands I bought 2 Were Correct Grades still packed in Cosmoline,which was fine with me,I was gonna clean them and lube each one anyways for safety reasons of course and being packed in cosmo,I knew those were gonna be some nice rifles esp when i looked at the TE and it was a 2,and the Muzzle was a 1+ on the two Correct Grade rifles i bought,I was very picky about what i got going each day and looking over each and every one other than the $3,000 dollar sniper collecter grades,that was just a bit much price wise,I also picked up a Winchester field Grade and if any are left Id suggest you do also,those are becoming Non Existant in any grade,and the one i picked up was in perfect condition other than the stock,but it was not bad at all since it was a 1943 date war baby,with that thin winchester blueing that turns to a almost silver color after its been inservice a while and not rebuilt.barrel muzzle and throat were a 3on the throat and a 2 on trhe muzzle,ad the barrel I think was a replacement one,which is ok with me, id expect that on a 1943 used gun,Ill always go to the CMP store if im buying a firearm as i want to know what im getting and not take a chance on the luck of the draw,thats just my personal preference as i do know they try to get people a good rifle on a store ardered on i watched them pick a few rifles for people,Dont buy your rifle the first day or the second day if its not exactly what your lookin for as time goes by the do put more and more rifles out,i went before closeing time on a sat before they closed for the weekend and found another rifle i was not planning on buying,but i did another correct grade,the wood and metal on these may as well be new,if there not,i dont sand stocks and wood iorn the dents etc,i use a High quality antique furnature restoreing solution fo remove the cosmoline off the wood and clean it up,never anything abrasive or strong like stripper etc that soaks in to the wood doing damage in the long run,then i put some Tung oil several thin coats ,one a day orpure loiled linseed oil,and they come out just like they were in the 50,s or 40,s,Now comes the good part,all the internal parts are brand new correct for these two rifles thats what you can find if you are paient and go every day and look at each rifle takes hours,,but if you want the best of the best to display for years to come,and id say these are collector grades easily,when i went to pay for them,Rene Told me the scoup,she said Alabama sales tax id 9%,so when your spending 4 thousand dollars a trip that amounts to a lot of money in tax,but she said if you let us ship them to you over night fedex,its just $22.95 a rifle and they come in a hard case cmp customized non crush plastic gun case,which they sell on the site for $30.00,Now these people are speakin my language now they have my devoted attention now,so thats what we did,so then with my savings i bought 3 more cans of that ammo,and i knew there was a big order coming in from the govt arsenal but i couldent bstay longer till the following wed,but i wish i had now ans then got some real nice rifles in of the 03 springfields,krags .22 match rifles and p-17 enfields,,but thats ok next time,,,when i got home a few days later i checked the site and all that new stuff was there so i got me some 16 inch Bayonets that are original manufacture,and some gunsmithing gauges and assorted other goodies im still waiting on to be deliverd,to the Tune of about another $1,400 or so bucks,its been about 3 weeks now and i dont want to pester them as i know they have a lot of shipping going on now,but i sure cant wait till my orders get here,i check everyday,Im looking forward to my next trip north to the Alabama store,and im gonna pick up one of the Mann Accuracy Devices,and build me a fine rifle out of it like my Gun shop owner here did,he was suprised when i saw it and said oh you were able to make a stock for it,and he said yea why not as everyone i had heard and read said it couldent be done,Well saw a fine example that says yest it can be made into one highly accurate bolt action rifle,I hope the one i wanted is still there,,,So Far my only Concern is that the Operateing Rod om my Springfield correct grand is bent,its straight if you lok at it like when its in operating position but if you rol it over on its side its crooked to spot with the regular eye,i ever gor a level out to check its almost a quarter of an inch out,I havent tried to shoot it yet,,But this does concern me,maybe thats how there made,ill find out i guess when i shoot it,See You all Next Time soon,,Jim Persinger,Cocoa Florida
Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Jim. I gotta laugh... That's the longest run on sentence in gods creation... Welcome to the boards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smal View Post
I was at the CMP South Store right at the End of Sept,Beginning of OCT,I stayed From wed thru Sat,if you plan on making a long Drive there,id Reccomend being trhere at opening and go straight to the counter,and find out what came in,they seem to get small quanitys of different rifles,almost every day or so and they sell so fast that early in the AM there is no use in them puttin them on the Racks in the store,Aske Leon at the Back Counter,He is a heck of a Nice guy and will bend over backwards to help you find a good Collectable, rifle or one that suits your Shooting needs,I was threr 4 Days straight and I bought stuff I could use all four Days at Prices I could not Touch at Home,or as in the Ammo,the 30.06 Ammo in the can deal for 250 rounds on a Belt for 90 bucks a can was awesome,So awesome I bought 9 cans,I was expecting the HXP Greek Corrosive ammo,But the First Day i got to my Hotel i opened it and it was beautiful ammo,1954 Remington non corrosive,Every Day I went i bought 3 Ammo Cans an d should have bought more for my stash,as you can shoot it linked,or take it out of the links save them and use them again,There is a price list on the post by the Armors window in the rear of the building thats up to date on what they have avaliable,leon pointed out that ammo in the can to me,,in some cans were actually a few rounds heavy,but never less than 250 rounds,The best part about making the Drive is,its well worth it,I live in Florida on the central east coast,And I wont Hesitate to make that Drive again,The employees are Super helpfull,there kind and very considerate of your needs,Rene is who took care of the Paperwork on my 3 Garands I bought 2 Were Correct Grades still packed in Cosmoline,which was fine with me,I was gonna clean them and lube each one anyways for safety reasons of course and being packed in cosmo,I knew those were gonna be some nice rifles esp when i looked at the TE and it was a 2,and the Muzzle was a 1+ on the two Correct Grade rifles i bought,I was very picky about what i got going each day and looking over each and every one other than the $3,000 dollar sniper collecter grades,that was just a bit much price wise,I also picked up a Winchester field Grade and if any are left Id suggest you do also,those are becoming Non Existant in any grade,and the one i picked up was in perfect condition other than the stock,but it was not bad at all since it was a 1943 date war baby,with that thin winchester blueing that turns to a almost silver color after its been inservice a while and not rebuilt.barrel muzzle and throat were a 3on the throat and a 2 on trhe muzzle,ad the barrel I think was a replacement one,which is ok with me, id expect that on a 1943 used gun,Ill always go to the CMP store if im buying a firearm as i want to know what im getting and not take a chance on the luck of the draw,thats just my personal preference as i do know they try to get people a good rifle on a store ardered on i watched them pick a few rifles for people,Dont buy your rifle the first day or the second day if its not exactly what your lookin for as time goes by the do put more and more rifles out,i went before closeing time on a sat before they closed for the weekend and found another rifle i was not planning on buying,but i did another correct grade,the wood and metal on these may as well be new,if there not,i dont sand stocks and wood iorn the dents etc,i use a High quality antique furnature restoreing solution fo remove the cosmoline off the wood and clean it up,never anything abrasive or strong like stripper etc that soaks in to the wood doing damage in the long run,then i put some Tung oil several thin coats ,one a day orpure loiled linseed oil,and they come out just like they were in the 50,s or 40,s,Now comes the good part,all the internal parts are brand new correct for these two rifles thats what you can find if you are paient and go every day and look at each rifle takes hours,,but if you want the best of the best to display for years to come,and id say these are collector grades easily,when i went to pay for them,Rene Told me the scoup,she said Alabama sales tax id 9%,so when your spending 4 thousand dollars a trip that amounts to a lot of money in tax,but she said if you let us ship them to you over night fedex,its just $22.95 a rifle and they come in a hard case cmp customized non crush plastic gun case,which they sell on the site for $30.00,Now these people are speakin my language now they have my devoted attention now,so thats what we did,so then with my savings i bought 3 more cans of that ammo,and i knew there was a big order coming in from the govt arsenal but i couldent bstay longer till the following wed,but i wish i had now ans then got some real nice rifles in of the 03 springfields,krags .22 match rifles and p-17 enfields,,but thats ok next time,,,when i got home a few days later i checked the site and all that new stuff was there so i got me some 16 inch Bayonets that are original manufacture,and some gunsmithing gauges and assorted other goodies im still waiting on to be deliverd,to the Tune of about another $1,400 or so bucks,its been about 3 weeks now and i dont want to pester them as i know they have a lot of shipping going on now,but i sure cant wait till my orders get here,i check everyday,Im looking forward to my next trip north to the Alabama store,and im gonna pick up one of the Mann Accuracy Devices,and build me a fine rifle out of it like my Gun shop owner here did,he was suprised when i saw it and said oh you were able to make a stock for it,and he said yea why not as everyone i had heard and read said it couldent be done,Well saw a fine example that says yest it can be made into one highly accurate bolt action rifle,I hope the one i wanted is still there,,,So Far my only Concern is that the Operateing Rod om my Springfield correct grand is bent,its straight if you lok at it like when its in operating position but if you rol it over on its side its crooked to spot with the regular eye,i ever gor a level out to check its almost a quarter of an inch out,I havent tried to shoot it yet,,But this does concern me,maybe thats how there made,ill find out i guess when i shoot it,See You all Next Time soon,,Jim Persinger,Cocoa Florida
Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
So Far my only Concern is that the Operateing Rod om my Springfield correct grand is bent,its straight if you lok at it like when its in operating position but if you rol it over on its side its crooked to spot with the regular eye,i ever gor a level out to check its almost a quarter of an inch out,I havent tried to shoot it yet,,But this does concern me,maybe thats how there made,
Yes, it's made that way. Don't straighten it!