Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm01s View Post
Found one 1917 with a great bore - a very late Remington receiver with a 3-19 Winchester barrel. I couldn't pass it up. Also picked up a Remington 513T .22 with a stock striped from buttplate to tip of fore-end. Hats off to Jim behind the counter who helped with the selection.

I bought one of the drill 1917s - the stock and parts were worth more than the $100 price tag. The barrel and receiver were welded together, and the bolt face is welded. Looking at the barrel plug, it LOOKS like it is not welded in place. I tried to drive it out with a 1/4" rod and hammer (curious - not planning to shoot) but the plug would not budge. Oh well, got a great stock and parts.

I came prepared with a cleaning rod and that paid off. After running a patch down the bore of many 1917s, there were a few that looked like they would clean up with a bronze brush and some solvent. If you go to pick out a 1917, take a rod and brush - you'll be glad you did.
OP, very nice scores. I know very little about the Krag rifle, but I picked one up on Friday as well and agree, there were a lot of nice ones on the racks at the NS...most of them complete, decent finish, very nice wood, and most would headspace. Dark bores were the only issue, but I doubt any of us plan on shooting them extensively, and they might clean up enough for the occasional range day.

I also picked up one of the drill guns, after the counter guy said it didn't look like the barrel plug was welded in place. I plan to try a few tricks when it arrives to remove it (Kroil, heat, etc), but figure the worst case scenario is a new bolt and barrel will make it shootable.

Has anyone thought of trying one of the $100 Drill rifles + one of the $150 B/Rs to make a complete gun for $250? I was tempted to try, but figured the B/Rs might not headspace. The drill rifles and B/Rs looked to be in fantastic shape (at least some of them did).
Old 10-09-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radionicist View Post
I finally finished up my work week, which meant I could drive up to the North Store this morning. I've been looking for a Krag, and I was glad to see the reports from this week that there were some decent Krags in the Store. I checked all of the rifles in the racks and brought this one home:

It looked complete, and the bore looks at least decent - I think it'll clean up well. For the price, I was very happy to bring it home.

I wasn't planning on picking up an M1917, but when I saw this one, I couldn't resist:

It's an Eddystone field grade in a very handsome Winchester stock. When I saw Elmer Keith's cartouche, I knew I couldn't go home without it.

The staff processed my purchases quickly, so I only had a few minutes to browse the rest of the stock. There sure is a variety out right now! The 1917s and the various .22 rifles seemed to be drawing most of the attention.

I was hoping to find an 03-A3 with a bad stock to bring home, as I have a sweet, tiger-striped scant stock just waiting for a new barrelled action. As it turns out, I needn't have worried about missing out - I got home and was preparing to do some chores when the phone rang. It was the nice young lady at my local gun shop, who said someone was there looking to sell a 1903 Springfield, and would I be interested in buying it? Of course, I ran for the car. (continued with pics next post)
Hi,
I was at the north store opeaning day #58 in line. I saw from your post that you purchased a M-1917 with Elmer Kieth's cartouche on it and I knew I saw that on one of the rifles I purchased. It was on a Remington 513T along with an opean box S.A. with an S under it. And a FJA also on the left side. I looked up the year of the rifle it was built in 1942. I didn't know they stamped the .22 military rifles. Do you know anything about these stamps? Thanks
Old 10-09-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eejit
I saw from your post that you purchased a M-1917 with Elmer Kieth's cartouche on it and I knew I saw that on one of the rifles I purchased. It was on a Remington 513T along with an opean box S.A. with an S under it. And a FJA also on the left side. I looked up the year of the rifle it was built in 1942. I didn't know they stamped the .22 military rifles. Do you know anything about these stamps? Thanks
The open box SA and FJA cartouches were stamped at Springfield Armory (FJA stands for Frank J. Atwood, who would have been in command of the Armory at the time). The OGEK cartouche was added by the Ogden Arsenal, and Elmer Keith was the inspector. I'm not an expert, but I'm guessing the SA catrouches are original and the OGEK stamping was from a rebuild program. I never knew the .22 rifles were stamped until I saw the photos of them here on the forum.

Sounds like you have a neat rifle - post up some pictures if you can.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I'll have to get my son to show me how to post the pictures. The OGEK stamp was stamped on the pistol grip and only the O and the left hand side of the rectagular box and the K and the right hand side of the box is visable. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eejit View Post
Hi,
I was at the north store opeaning day #58 in line. I saw from your post that you purchased a M-1917 with Elmer Kieth's cartouche on it and I knew I saw that on one of the rifles I purchased. It was on a Remington 513T along with an opean box S.A. with an S under it. And a FJA also on the left side. I looked up the year of the rifle it was built in 1942. I didn't know they stamped the .22 military rifles. Do you know anything about these stamps? Thanks
I remember you I was #57.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Yea, I remember you, hope you found what you were looking for. I came up looking for H & R M12 and a Rem. 513T and an Enfield. Satisfied with the .22's but the F.G. Enfield looked nice and had a nice barrel but the bolt will close on the field gauge. So it looks like the search starts to find a bolt to make it in to a shooter.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 AM

My first CMP trip and purchase - I went to the north store on the 12th. What a great store and armorers to help me find a sweet score! I got a rack grade Remington 1917 and field grade Remington 1917; with 5 digit serial #s. Both were marked No Headspace, but checked out fine with a field gauge. Both had MW of 1, with beautiful bores and wood. They could have qualified for the service grade requirements. I got 3 Field Grade M-1s; 2 HRA's with LMR barrels, and a SA M-1 with 5.4 mill serial #. One of the HRAs is correct, except the trigger group. The SA is correct except for the stock. I only have 9 more M-1s I can buy this year :-). A south store trip is in the making and so looking forward to it. My SA FG has a mysterious metal plate tacked to the pistol grip, about the size of a postage stamp, with a 3 digit numeral embossed on it. Anyone know what that might be?