Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jcachina
Default Gunsmith Recommendation Needed

Hello Folks:

I have a .308 Special on order from the CMP. I'd like to have it glass bedded and have some trigger work done by a pro as soon as it comes in. Anyone have first hand experience with someone who's good ?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcachina View Post
Hello Folks:

I have a .308 Special on order from the CMP. I'd like to have it glass bedded and have some trigger work done by a pro as soon as it comes in. Anyone have first hand experience with someone who's good ?

Thanks

Roland Beaver
Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM

some trigger work would help, several folks can do that. I would shoot the thing first before I jumped into glass bedding.the CMP puts on new stocks for those, and generally they are pretty tight, may need a little op-rod relief and some oil, but a nice stock. glass bedding is for a real match rifle, or a really worn out stock. you don't have a match barrel, match sights, or other "match" type items to the rifle, so try what you have. you might be happy with the way it shoots. a little trigger work, and some load development will pay off big.

78jeep
Old 01-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Banned

call CMP and talk to an armorer
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78jeep View Post
some trigger work would help, several folks can do that. I would shoot the thing first before I jumped into glass bedding.the CMP puts on new stocks for those, and generally they are pretty tight, may need a little op-rod relief and some oil, but a nice stock. glass bedding is for a real match rifle, or a really worn out stock. you don't have a match barrel, match sights, or other "match" type items to the rifle, so try what you have. you might be happy with the way it shoots. a little trigger work, and some load development will pay off big.

78jeep
+1

Mine got the full treatment (1981) because we put a heavy match barrell on it and had to open the stock channel.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:33 PM

My first suggestion is that you aviod going to a gunsmith, especially a local one. You should seek the services of an experienced M1/M14 Armorer, and don't require that it be only someone local, if such a person should exist near you. You want the best and most qualified person who is the most experienced in your area of intrest with the M1. If you want a nice looking, good build, you go to one of the guys that specialize in making good looking, good working basic builds. If you would want something for let's say, a dedicated Long Range Highpower Rifle, you send it to a suitable armorer (wherever he is) who has a name for such work.

Danny

Tags
bedding, gunsmith, trigger