Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Default Current US military .22's ?

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the US military is currently using for .22 trainers and .22 match rifles?
Old 07-14-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington190304 View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the US military is currently using for .22 trainers and .22 match rifles?
For the most part, the DoD has gotten out of the .22 rifle business. The various service teams probably shoot Anschutz.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 07-15-2017, 06:51 PM

Dod went to the 22 conversions in the M16A1 then to a simulator with lasers and pneumatic pumps to simulate recoil and such. I do not believe the military uses any .22 trainer for any use at this time
Old 07-22-2017, 05:47 PM

The USMC EOD teams still use .22LR rifles and "match" .22LR ammo. Haven't seen them in person, just on custody lists.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:07 PM

US Martial .22RF Rifles by Thomas D. Batha is a excellent sourse of US 22 trainers.

Amazon has them but I think the price is a misprint as I paid less the $20 for mine new at a gun show last March.

https://www.amazon.com/Martial-22RF-...+.22+rf+rifles

If I remember right the H&R Model 12 (5200) was the last purchased by the Army. It was an excellent copy of the Modle 52 Winchester and highly accurate. I've clean several English Match Targets using surplus Wincherster White box using mine.

This is mine with a Remington 24X scope

About the same time as they came out, maybe earlier the Army use the M261 sub-cal device for the M16s. You replace the bolt carrier with this device. It had a 10 round magazine adapter fit inside the 20 or 30 round magazines.

They were used for training and even qualification on 50 ft. targets. We used a lot of them in the AK NG as most units didnt have access to outdoor ranges, and as most of our drills and ATs were in the winter, the weather prevented outdoor weapons training.

I was the CO of a Native Guard Unit on St. Lawrence Island and we set up an indoor 50 ft range using c-rat cases full of sand for back stops.

The National Guard also had competitions using the M261's. I took a team from St Lawrence Island to Nashville competing with other state teams, indoor with the m261s.

I dont think the army or guard uses them any more but they were a great training tool.

Sadly I dont think the military cares about marksmanship any more. The Army always had some sort of Gallery loads for the Service Rifles or 22 Trainers to save ammo cost and give Urban NG units the ability to train in indoor ranges when they didnt have access to outdoor ranges.

With the M261 the army pushed the idea that for every 22 round you shot, you saved the government 14 cents.