Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 10:48 PM

Default 1917 Replacement Stocks?

While I was picking up my WRA Garand on Friday from my usual gun shop (yes, I live in a state where all sales now have to go through a FFL and involve Sales Tax...) I happened to notice they had a 1917 on sale for $499 behind the counter.

When I discussed with the owners, they mentioned they just received it that day and were getting ready to put it out for sale. I took a quick look at it and honestly the metal finish looked original and in very good condition. The part that had me raising my eyebrows though was the stock. The upper hand guard was darker than the overall stock and had the usual wear and tear. The overall stock though looked to be in very good condition (almost yellow in color) with no proof marks and I think it may have even been varnished. Only real "wear and tear" I saw on it was near the butt place where it looked like it rubbed against something (sorry no pics). Also, not being an expert on the stocks, I noticed what looked to be a pencil lead wide steel bar that went all the way through the stock between the trigger and receiver (it was flush with the wood on both sides).

Just curious if this sounds like a USGI stock or some sort of commercial replacement (if there are such things)? Thanks!
Old 07-17-2017, 12:51 AM

To summarize

The majority of the stock (other than upper handguard) almost looked new, was a yellowish wood, and was varnished.

The stock also had a metal pin going through it in the general area between the receiver and trigger.

Curious if that sounds like USGI or some sort of aftermarket item (or Greek, etc).

Thanks again
Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 AM

Varnished stocks will not show the typical dark color of oil finished walnut. I recently stripped and finished (BLO) a GI C stock. It went from very light to standard color. No way of knowing without a test. The 17 has a large recoil cross bolt directly below the serial number and a very small cross pin above and forward of the trigger. Anything else is a repair. Good Shooting. .

Last edited by ceresco; 07-17-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:46 AM

What you are describing sounds like a typical mix of parts that happen with rebuilds. The varnish is an exception because a mil spec finish will be oil - BLO or tung. If it has a glossy finish then someone has taken it apart and slathered on a coat of varnish. And when owners take their guns apart they usually take liberties in changing other things too. So keep that in mind. Today $499.00 is probably not a bad price if everything else is acceptable. The varnish can be stripped ans replaced with BLO or tung.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM

Could be a replacement birch stock....Bill Ricca had replacement birch P 17 upper handguards at his table a couple months back.....I have a shortened birch P-17 stock, but it has been stained a red color.....regards....alex
Old 07-17-2017, 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone --- just curious what I saw. While it had a little wear on it (and no proof marks), it almost looked brand new. Almost looked too good
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM

I have a couple of those too good to be true.

From what I can pick up, they were made but not issued to a rifle, wound up as spares.

At some point the stock was sold off as surplus and a gun was put in it.

No arsenal marks etc, has the eagle stamp.