Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2018, 03:18 PM

Smile IHC Value

At the current listing price, an IHC Service grade is still a good investment right? I really donít have any intention of selling, just looking at a new creative way to convince my wife to give me the blessing to pull the trigger? Iím also open to other strategies.....thanks for your input!
Old 02-13-2018, 03:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

Recently there have been quite a few IHC rifles sold by the CMP. That has driven down the market price somewhat. There aren't that many IHCs out there and when it has been a while since the CMP has sold any IHCs, the market price will probably rise again.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:42 PM

I think there are quite a few IHC rifles among the recent Turkish returns. That should also increase the supply. The truth is that most firearms are not great investments. At best they just keep pace with inflation. I was just looking at an ad from 1963 selling M1 Garands for 89.95. Which sounds great, but if you run it through an inflation calculator that same rifle would be going for 724.67 today. Almost the exact cost of a current service grade. So clearly they hold their value but there are far better investments out there. However, you can't hold, admire, or shoot a share of stock so go buy that IHC.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:36 PM

You can sell your rifle and pocket the money. Try that with stock without forking out Fed., State, city,school or whatever other tax applies.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM

actually you're supposed to pay tax on that. I understand that people don't when selling items that they may get gains on that the government cannot track. Just saying.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihcgarand View Post
actually you're supposed to pay tax on that. I understand that people don't when selling items that they may get gains on that the government cannot track. Just saying.
correct. any time you sell ANYTHING it is a taxable event.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:33 PM

But how can you sell them if they all accidentally fell out of a boat???

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbor has too many kids.

I WAS the proud owner of 45+ 100% A+ ratings on the old itrader system.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:28 PM

I just bought one today. Big time buyers remorse, only because it was rifle #2 of the day. I'll get over it.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:43 PM

Is the remorse due to the condition of the rifle, or because it was the second rifle? Some of the other posts are talking about some of the current Turkish returns being pretty rough? I assume most of the IHC service grades coming out now are Turkish returns?
Old 02-16-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLD View Post
You can sell your rifle and pocket the money. Try that with stock without forking out Fed., State, city,school or whatever other tax applies.
Sales tax? Use tax? Sunken costs from ammo reloading equipment specializes tools?

Bill

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk