Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisabc View Post
Hi folks, this month I received my RM1Special from CMP with SA serial number 1,118,NNN, putting the receiver in January 1943. It came with a new stock, with an OK finish, but I wanted to get it looking more "original," and had to decide between tung oil, raw linseed oil, boiled linseed oil, or something else. Because the Field Manuals I read dated 1943, 1947 and 1965 instructed to use raw linseed oil, that's what I chose.

Before applying it I applied 5 thin coats of Danish Oil Finish Medium Walnut over several days, let it dry and then used Slazenger Natural Linseed Oil, also sold as Cricket Bat Oil. I applied thin coats using my fingers only, rubbing it in a section at a time and rubbing vigorously enough to generate some warmth between my fingers and the wood. I did not pour the oil on the wood or otherwise allow it to accumulate. I did this once in the morning, and then ~10 hours later in the evening, for 7 days. After applying, I let each coat dry for 45 minutes and then wiped dry with a soft cotton cloth. It never felt sticky.

I now plan on allowing it to rest for a few weeks and apply another thin coat, and do this until I'm completely satisfied.

You can see a picture of the results using the link below.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!

Randy
That looks beautiful.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2018, 12:53 AM

This really nice. The finish is wonderful!
Old 04-14-2018, 02:32 PM

Randy, well done. I just received a rifle with the CMP stock. what did you do to prep the stock before you used the Danish Oil Finish - sand, use some sort of product to pull out any CMP finish, something else? Your result is great.

Mike
Old 07-10-2018, 05:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to skwchock
Default Tung Oil?

I have a M1 that has a new CMP stock. The stock was unfinished, and we were told that if we wanted to add a protective finish to the stock we should/could use Tung Oil.

I applied 5 thin coats and polished after each coat. The tung oil made my rifle look beautiful.. great wood grain.

When I went to reassemble the rifle and re-insert the trigger assembly, I found that the trigger assembly would slide in smoothly and perfectly, but the trigger guard would not latch. I have taken the rifle apart and put it back together again...each part went in smoothly, but I STILL cannot get the trigger assembly to latch. So now I have a "non-functional" M1 that looks beautiful, but I cannot shoot it (until I can get the trigger assembly to latch.)

Thanks.
Stephen Chock
skwchock@netscape.net
703-491-8589

Last edited by skwchock; 07-10-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added contact info
Old 07-10-2018, 07:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwchock View Post
When I went to reassemble the rifle and re-insert the trigger assembly, I found that the trigger assembly would slide in smoothly and perfectly, but the trigger guard would not latch. I have taken the rifle apart and put it back together again...each part went in smoothly, but I STILL cannot get the trigger assembly to latch. So now I have a "non-functional" M1 that looks beautiful, but I cannot shoot it (until I can get the trigger assembly to latch.)

Thanks.
Stephen Chock
skwchock@netscape.net
703-491-8589
Give this a try...you won't break anything. How they did it in the factory when new.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za5WM4P7aNc
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I have a M1 that has a new CMP stock. The stock was unfinished, and we were told that if we wanted to add a protective finish to the stock we should/could use Tung Oil.

I applied 5 thin coats and polished after each coat. The tung oil made my rifle look beautiful.. great wood grain.

Thanks.
Stephen Chock
skwchock@netscape.net
703-491-8589
Who is "we" and who told you?

When you try to close the triggerguard how far does it get to the stock? It it's within an inch or 3 give it a whack with the palm of your hand, that is how it's supposed to fit.
JH
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to skwchock

Thanks for the info. I went to CMP to attend their AMC course--- and built my M1 Garand. The "we" refers our AMC class that was taught by the great staff at the CMP CUSTOM SHOP. They/the CMP Custom Shop staff are so great!! I was very impressed with their knowledge and willingness to help. Fantastic people.

The trigger guard does not latch -- it stops about 1 inch from the base plate.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I went to CMP to attend their AMC course--- and built my M1 Garand. The "we" refers our AMC class that was taught by the great staff at the CMP CUSTOM SHOP. They/the CMP Custom Shop staff are so great!! I was very impressed with their knowledge and willingness to help. Fantastic people.

The trigger guard does not latch -- it stops about 1 inch from the base plate.
1 inch is fine. Give it a whack and it will close. Didn't they discuss this in the AMC?

The video shomway posted sums it up (but a real man just gives it a whack !)

JH
Old 07-12-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
1 inch is fine. Give it a whack and it will close. Didn't they discuss this in the AMC?

The video shomway posted sums it up (but a real man just gives it a whack !)

JH
They do discuss it but when you are building your rifle at the AMC you are putting it in a brand new stock. You have to fit the stock to the rifle, some more than others before you try that. Got to watch one get cracked. In the case of a rifle that has been in the stock and locked up, I agree Give it a whack.
Looking For SA #2465125 #3740941 S&W #AHD6840
Semi-Retired LEO
NRA Life Member
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWins View Post
They do discuss it but when you are building your rifle at the AMC you are putting it in a brand new stock. You have to fit the stock to the rifle, some more than others before you try that. Got to watch one get cracked. In the case of a rifle that has been in the stock and locked up, I agree Give it a whack.
I understand the process of fitting a new stock, that is not what I was commenting on.
OP had a stock that fit. He field stripped it, worked on stock finish and had trouble replacing the trigger guard.
Whack it.

Tags
linseed oil, stock oil