Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2018, 05:46 AM

OP-
Do you verify all OALs or do you set your seating die and just plug away?

How did you attempt to contact them? Last week was a holiday week.

M14! Haven’t seen anything from you in a while!

FYI- I reviewed my Springfield M1A manual on ammunition. It’s also downloadable. Their position is simple, reloaded ammunition voids all warranties. It also gives recommendations on what ammunition to use.

Last edited by Deuceguy; 07-11-2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Add
Old 07-11-2018, 06:45 AM

I also had issues with my Bula barreled receiver built on a 22 inch NM dated 8/17. The only way to get the spent casings out was using a rod and hammer them out. With this issue I don't think my build was test fired prior to shipping. I contacted Jim at Bula and he said it sounded like I had a chamber with reamer marks. I sent it back in for work in April and got it back a couple of weeks later in May of this year. The rifle functioned fine when I finally got to the range but my casings come out with scratches from the rim for about a 1/4 inch. I only shoot surplus ammo and don't currently reload for 7.62 yet. Since my barrel is dated in the known bad range should I have any concerns with this rifle?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:28 AM

Hornady 150 = 2.78 Col
Nosler 168 cc= 2.80 Col

So your 150s at 2.810 are pretty long in the tooth to start with.
RVN 67-68
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Hornady 150 = 2.78 Col
Nosler 168 cc= 2.80 Col

So your 150s at 2.810 are pretty long in the tooth to start with.
Art,
I don't believe the COAL of .01 is that significant. The larger concern is where on the cartridge that the bullet full diameter is outside the case. I believe the 168gr 308 diameter is farther out than the 150gr. In any case, I had not fired any 150gr loads in this rifle since its return, only the LC 147gr and the Nosler 168gr.

What I'll try next is to create some dummy cases with various bullets and see what max COAL I can have with each where the bullet does not engage, and the case fully inserts to the chamber. That will need to wait until I finish prepping cases for another cartridge.

Last edited by DougS; 07-11-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:48 AM

Another test you might do is to cut the neck of an empty sized case lengthwise so a bullet can move under pressure. Insert a bullet that is intentionally long and then chamber the cartridge gently. The bullet should be pushed into the case, again gently remove the cartridge so you can measure exactly the length of the space between your bolt face and the lands.
You could use a Hornady O.A.L guage or a RCBS precision mic to check your chamber.
Just guessing what your malfunction might be caused by is of no benefit other than giving you a bunch of different things to look for.
Looking forward to you finding a cure.

Semper Fi
Art
RVN 67-68
Old 07-11-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
If you check my response to nf1e at 1:50pm you will see that I have essentially already done that. The empty sized case and the 147gr LC M80 ball drop right out. The 168gr Nosler and the 150gr Hornady do not drop out. Now, I don't seat the Hornady to the cannulure, so the bearing surface of the bullet is out further from the case than the 147gr ball. That is why I believe this to be a throat issue.

Ok..... Thanks!
Seems like you have it all figured out.

Take Care.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 PM

I finally received a response from Bula this morning, however it was basically only responding to my note of May 25 asking what was done at the shop.

This is the note I sent on May 10: The bolded text was apparently passed to the shop.
"Jeff,

I finally took this completed rifle to the range today, and I believe there maybe a problem with the chamber. I only fired 10 rounds and stopped after the rim tore off the case and it was jammed in the chamber. It took a cleaning rod and a hammer hit the remove the case.

All the rounds would not chamber with the bolt closing completely with a magazine in place. I had several short cycles, which I believe had more to do with the extraction effort than the round itself. Several cases seem to have two brighter rings on them, one about a half inch above the base, and the other about a quarter inch below the shoulder, Perhaps the chamber was not polished after reaming, or the reamer was not a finish reamer or in the best condition. In any case, the rifle is not operating as it should.

Unfortunately, I am aware that Bula had some subcontracting issue on barrels lately and that the problem barrels are dated 8/17. http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....highlight=bula ;

I was hoping mine was an exception to the problem as it is dated 8/17. I had checked head space before assembling, but could not inspect the chamber. I did not see any roughness in the bore as was described as one of the issues.

I'm not meaning to be critical here. and I understand that issues with new products do arise, but this is my third problem with a Bula product and I must say I'm a bit frustrated. Let me know if/when/how to send the rifle to you and whether I need to strip the barrel of the parts I added."

This is what the repair order said was done:
"U.S.G.I. Oprod not aligned with gas cylinder *REALIGNED*"
"Polished chamber as courtesy - marks/scratches were from rod used to remove stuck cases"
"Bolt inspected extractor good"

Admittedly the oprod was only very slightly misaligned on the rifle, but it passed the tilt test fine.
As to the chamber marks - one case was knocked out with a rod that bottomed on the inside of the fired case to remove, so the only contact the rod would have had with the chamber was on removal.
Apparently no inspection of the chamber/throat was done as to why the bolt would not close on a round,and no mention of the marks on the cases above the base or below the shoulder either.

Last edited by DougS; 07-11-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 PM

Knowing the folks at Bula quite well, I am going to say there is more to this story than meets the eye in this thread.
Just a guess, but I think the current problem is with the ammo being used.
I do understand the rifle was function tested with good ammo before being returned by Bula.
How about trying a box or 2 of 168 gr GMM and see how things perform?
Should answer the big question, is the chamber on the rifle workable with proper ammo?
RVN 67-68
Old 07-11-2018, 09:34 PM

One thing that should help is to use small base dies for sizing.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
One thing that should help is to use small base dies for sizing.
Right you are Mr Brown. I keep forgetting that everyone doesn't use SB dies for their auto-loaders.
RVN 67-68