Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Does no one else think the stamp looks funny or is it just me?
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:36 AM

Before ya'll get on a roll with this consider- it is on the left side. HRA early stocks did not conform to the norm that we consider "HRA". Heck the P had serifs. IHC stocks did have the stamp on the right side.

Now, I'd like to see a shot of the left side of that stock full on. Seems to me, the stamp is a little forward, but just throwing out vague suspicions.

Last edited by jerryjeff; 07-11-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:43 AM

It is 100% real and the HRA stamp looks more cartoonish. It is a very distinct stamping. Nice early version. Only thing earlier is the SA version with exact cannons because SA sent stocks over before they had the stock machines running. Rick B
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Also Dean, was the tiny Proof P on the grip bottom or arch for the IHC Rick B

Old 07-11-2018, 09:23 AM

Rick, Trying to put my head around this! Since SA also used a ord.wheel only for a short time and sent stocks to HRA,is there any way to define the difference?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:42 AM

Rick, I was wondering the same thing. I have what I thought was an HRA made by SA but mine has a smaller ord. wheel an non-serif P.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

My early IHC stocks have the tiny proof P on the bottom of the grip, not on the arch.

Also, I have seen or have early IHC stocks that have the crossed cannon on the right side and other early IHC stocks with the crossed cannon on the left side. I have no idea if one was done before the other or it was random during a period as far as right side vs. left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
Also Dean, was the tiny Proof P on the grip bottom or arch for the IHC Rick B

Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLD View Post
Rick, Trying to put my head around this! Since SA also used a ord.wheel only for a short time and sent stocks to HRA,is there any way to define the difference?
The Issue at hand is everyone says the HRA stocks were SA's because they were the SA profile on 1st HRA's. I say SA never used the Ordnance wheel and only made stocks for HRA. The Cannons are exact. Why would Springfield used JLG hand stamped and JLG regular stamps then go to wheel and then go to DAS? I say Springfield never used the Cannons or Wheel. To date there is no documentation SA used this but there is exact Cannons on HRA large back porch with Serif P and on the SA profile stocks. I had someone at CMP looking and they seen this also on some original early HRA's. The argument will always be there and only possibilities is the Cannons went over to HRA when SA stopped using them [ I doubt this ] or the same maker did two stamps exactly the same for SA and HRA. I will always believe Springfield didn't use the Cannons only until documented proof comes out. But I also have to always keep an open mind to it having happened. Rick B
Old 07-11-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
My early IHC stocks have the tiny proof P on the bottom of the grip, not on the arch.

Also, I have seen or have early IHC stocks that have the crossed cannon on the right side and other early IHC stocks with the crossed cannon on the left side. I have no idea if one was done before the other or it was random during a period as far as right side vs. left side.
Many times the right side canons were seen with small P on bottom of grip. When the cannons moved to left side you will see a tiny P on the arch of the grip then a circle P came about before the DAS was used. At one point but for a super small amount you will see Cannons on right side and a small P on grip. Not sure if it was a habit someone did and forgot to move it or maybe the bottom of the grip and arch didn't mean anything. Still stand that right cannons shows bottom of grip and left shows on grip arch more often than not. Rick B
Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the reply Rick. Seems like documentation would be the key. Canfields book doesn’t mention stocks as being one of the parts supplied to HRA by SA. All 3 companies were buying Overton stocks early. SA apparently had start up problems and we’re doing overhauls as well. Seems like spare stocks should have been rare. Sure wish that original SA/ ord. wheel only rifle would show up.Appreciate your research.