Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 01:08 AM

Default Last of the Cheap CMP Surplus Ammo - Sad

Maybe like some of you I came to this party late, but I am not ready to whine and complain about it. Sure it would have been really nice to get a lot more cheap surplus ammo, maybe the Garand's and Carbines were even cheaper a year ago or so when I got here, but I am thankful I did get here.

I have a gorgeous (to me) Garand and Carbine and some ammo for both... enough to hit the range for a year before reloading or buying, whichever.

What is the point of complaining about this inevitable situation, blaming CMP or the members of our CMP community who bought sooner/more.

When I hold my Garand or Carbine I am humbled by those who held it before me and I think of those young men (heros) who carried our Garandís and Carbineís into war but never had a chance to worry about what they were going to pay for surplus ammo.

This is not the end of the world, just a mere bump in the road. We are the lucky ones.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:21 AM

Well Said.... I agree.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 AM

I concur; sad but had to happen eventually
Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 AM

Great thread, for years there was never an issue with Ammo from the CMP. Things drastically changed last year. If they are successful in finding more, I would suspect a new limit and price change.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:13 PM

I would like to think there is more inexpensive surplus lurking out there... but one thing is for sure, they sure are not making surplus any more ...

Saw one guy post about Korean surplus- I wonder how that compares to Greek surplus in overall quality (shootability and accuracy).
Old 11-07-2009, 05:00 PM

Overall the Korean ammo is good stuff. Watch the headstamps... KA is corrosive and PS is non-corrosive. There were a few lots of PS that were trouble. I don't have that list though. There is no problem firing corrosive ammo if you clean your weapon accordingly.

Based on my experiences I'd pass on French ammo if you come across any. Most had poor quality brass that can rupture on firing. And I'm not sure if it is M1 compatible. The stuff I had was Mdle. 1949 or something close to that. Bad stuff!!!

Hope this helps.

Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 PM

yea, i agree i miss the ammo, but since november of last year we have scene Garand Carbine and Ammo sales through the roof.

but im fine with Commercial ammo now (.73c), till any CMP Surplus comes up, i don't see myself getting surplus at a Gun show where i know the profit markup is nuts.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 PM

Thanks sig, Hey pepsi- out of curiosity, which commercial 30-06 are you going with?
Old 11-08-2009, 04:12 PM

And those of you saying I was crazy to get a .308 barrel from my Garand, I say HA!
(Yes, there's no 7.62 NATO surplus.......yet........but it'll get out there eventually.)

Mike D
Old 11-08-2009, 04:44 PM

Huzzah Sir, Huzzah