Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2015, 11:48 AM
Doubs43 Doubs43 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Byron, GA
Posts: 650
Default Surplus 1911 Sales OK'd by President?

I just read that President Obama has signed into law the bill that would allow the sale of surplus military 1911 pistols through the CMP.

Am I dreaming or is it real?

Link: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...-s-army-1911s/
  #2  
Old 11-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Northwoods Trader Northwoods Trader is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 73
Default

Don't get your hopes up just yet...its been said many times before by the CMP that they would not get into the business of selling 1911s.
  #3  
Old 11-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Winnie Winnie is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Trader View Post
Don't get your hopes up just yet...its been said many times before by the CMP that they would not get into the business of selling 1911s.
Yes, that is why CMP publishes updates on the status of the bill on its website and Facebook, because they don't want to sell them.
__________________
Looking for WRA 2416903...
  #4  
Old 11-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Oldvetteman Oldvetteman is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Larkspur, Colorado
Posts: 916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Trader View Post
Don't get your hopes up just yet...its been said many times before by the CMP that they would not get into the business of selling 1911s.
They said that because at the time the law that established the CMP did not permit sale if 1911s. The recently signed Defense Authorization Bill changes that.

Please see:
http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...861269243.html.

Also: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=173533

I don't see anything that would indicate the CMP doesn't intend to sell 1911s. Seems like they missed a couple opportunities to say so.
  #5  
Old 11-26-2015, 12:50 PM
TLB TLB is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MidWest
Posts: 1,904
Default

Legislation says MAY be transferred not must. Secretary is an Executive appointment so many administration might not authorize the transfer.
__________________
Former iTrader Feedback: 41 with 100% positive transactions
  #6  
Old 11-26-2015, 02:02 PM
jsudduth jsudduth is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLB View Post
Legislation says MAY be transferred not must. Secretary is an Executive appointment so many administration might not authorize the transfer.
I think this is the key, The Secretary MAY transfer...

Notice it doesn't state WILL transfer...

I assume the "Secretary" is the Secretary of the Army. If he gets instructions from on high telling him under no circumstances to do that transfer then it is unlikely that transfer will take place.

As I see it there are three paths this could take.

The administration doesn't know or doesn't care about that section and things proceed in a positive way and the CMP gets the pistols and starts selling them.

The bill was signed knowing about that section but has no intention of doing the transfer leaving it for a later administration.

Or they intend to destroy the pistols and never intended to release them to the CMP anyway.

Jim
  #7  
Old 01-21-2016, 12:10 AM
[email protected] hmendelson@nc.rr.com is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Pinehurst, NC
Posts: 206
Default

I received a posting yesterday from someone that spoke with Mr. Johnson at the SHOT show. Mr. Johnson indicated that the hold up is the Secretary of the Army. The acting Secretary is up for nomination and has to pass Senate approval. He either can't or won't approve the transfer until he is approved.
Mr. Johnson also estimated the starting price will be at $1,000 for rack grade with field grade, service grade and presentation grade running more. I suspect those prices are not set in stone.
IMHO, being that the acting Secretary has a good relationship with POTUS, he won't be in any hurry to release the 1911s.
Now if Congress can get the navy to release its inventory of 1911s, maybe we will get a supply of 1911s sooner.
  #8  
Old 01-21-2016, 12:18 AM
Lt. Thompson Lt. Thompson is online now
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I received a posting yesterday from someone that spoke with Mr. Johnson at the SHOT show. Mr. Johnson indicated that the hold up is the Secretary of the Army. The acting Secretary is up for nomination and has to pass Senate approval. He either can't or won't approve the transfer until he is approved.
Mr. Johnson also estimated the starting price will be at $1,000 for rack grade with field grade, service grade and presentation grade running more. I suspect those prices are not set in stone.
IMHO, being that the acting Secretary has a good relationship with POTUS, he won't be in any hurry to release the 1911s.
Now if Congress can get the navy to release its inventory of 1911s, maybe we will get a supply of 1911s sooner.
Yeah - that's what I figured. Job is held hostage.

The Navy 1911's: wouldn't they (hypothetically) take just as much time as the Army, since their 1911's would have to go through SECNAV?
  #9  
Old 01-21-2016, 07:50 AM
IditarodJoe IditarodJoe is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Thompson View Post
The Navy 1911's: wouldn't they (hypothetically) take just as much time as the Army, since their 1911's would have to go through SECNAV?
My understanding of the process has always been that when firearms held by any branch of the military are determined to be "surplus to the needs of the service", they must be turned over to the Army for disposition. Wasn't that the reason, when the CMP received the Navy .308 Garands, that Orest stated that they had been received "from the Army"?
  #10  
Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 PM
ND Soldier ND Soldier is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Sure hope they do. I would love to get an original 1911. Been in the military 37 years and have good memories of them.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.