Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
If you see a serial number that is something like this X1234567 then that is a replacement frame.
Wouldn't that more likely be a duplicated serial number?

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 06-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
I don't know the timeline for replacement frames but there where some created. If you see a serial number that is something like this X1234567 then that is a replacement frame. All I have seen are 1911A1 frames like that,
The X serial numbers were for use by arsenals doing rebuilds. They were used when a pistol was recovered with a defaced serial number or when a duplicate SN was discovered. They were not replacement frames.

Last edited by thebearpack; 06-04-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:13 AM

I have been with CMP since 1996, have bought many of their rifles and have always found their pricing fair.
I might be missing something BUT $!000 perhaps for a 1911?? Which is used and a mixmaster rebuild??

I own a few 1911's I acquired from owners bring backs from WW2 . I didn't pay anywhere that much for any of them them and they are in great condition.

I don't follow markets etc. I am anxious to see what CMP does with their pricing of these pistols. they have always priced their rifles fairly I have no doubt they will surprise us all with the pricing of these pistols.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTulip109 View Post
I have been with CMP since 1996, have bought many of their rifles and have always found their pricing fair.
I might be missing something BUT $!000 perhaps for a 1911?? Which is used and a mixmaster rebuild??

I own a few 1911's I acquired from owners bring backs from WW2 . I didn't pay anywhere that much for any of them them and they are in great condition.

I don't follow markets etc. I am anxious to see what CMP does with their pricing of these pistols. they have always priced their rifles fairly I have no doubt they will surprise us all with the pricing of these pistols.
I don't follow markets etc
I think you have your answer. Years ago, not so much interest in "old Army pistols".
Today, everyone wants one, and even arsenal rebuilds are commanding over $1000.
My house was built in 1959 for $17,000. Today it's recent appraisal is north of $400,000.
Nice things go up in demand and value.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-08-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Are you willing to sell them for the price you paid? "They're not for sale" isn't an answer; would you sell them for the price you paid?

If not, you've answered your own question.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
Are you willing to sell them for the price you paid? "They're not for sale" isn't an answer; would you sell them for the price you paid?

If not, you've answered your own question.
The 1911's I acquired were personal sidearms from people I became very acquainted with. They let me have them them because their OWN kids didn't care about them and often said they would sell them or auction them after these folks died.
Each pistol and many of the rifles have really interesting stories attached.
These acquisitions stay in the family as I promised these men, my kids as young as they are have already showed interest in them. I also had each person write or dictate the story for me and had him sign it.
So to answer your question no I wouldn't sell them but if I really had to i would hope to find someone who would place it in a permanent collection or have them become family heirlooms. Price would depend on the circumstances.
I say that because in my own personal situation. I knew someone who had gone regularly to camp perry for many years back in the 50's through the 70's. He had always wanted a 1903 rifle. When they became available one of the ones I purchased I gave to him as he was dying from cancer. He had a young grandson who was very close to him and I took a liking to him. This man had taken his grandson shooting many times and the kid liked it but didn't own any rifles or pistols of his own. I spoke to his grandmother and the kids mother about letting him have the rifle. The rest is history
This sport, hobby whatever you want to call it has a LOT of wonderful people in it. I have had the opportunity to meet so many people with passionate interest. I have learned SO much from the knowledge of others and I try to play some role in inspiring kids to take up the sport(like taking kids shooting at my gun club).
I hope I gave you some insight into how I operate and hope I answered your question.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The 1911's I acquired were personal sidearms from people I became very acquainted with. They let me have them them because their OWN kids didn't care about them and often said they would sell them or auction them after these folks died.

These acquisitions stay in the family as I promised these men, my kids as young as they are have already showed interest in them. I also had each person write or dictate the story for me and had him sign it.

So to answer your question no I wouldn't sell them but if I really had to i would hope to find someone who would place it in a permanent collection or have them become family heirlooms. Price would depend on the circumstances.

I say that because in my own personal situation. I knew someone who had gone regularly to camp perry for many years back in the 50's through the 70's. He had always wanted a 1903 rifle. When they became available one of the ones I purchased I gave to him as he was dying from cancer. He had a young grandson who was very close to him and I took a liking to him. This man had taken his grandson shooting many times and the kid liked it but didn't own any rifles or pistols of his own. I spoke to his grandmother and the kids mother about letting him have the rifle. The rest is history

This sport, hobby whatever you want to call it has a LOT of wonderful people in it. I have had the opportunity to meet so many people with passionate interest. I have learned SO much from the knowledge of others and I try to play some role in inspiring kids to take up the sport(like taking kids shooting at my gun club).

I hope I gave you some insight into how I operate and hope I answered your question.
BlackTulip, that is very admirable on all fronts and I certainly respect the way you operate. The history of these pieces is what hooks us all I think, and it should be preserved. All of my 1911A1s will be going to my son unless things change and he loses respect for them and their history.

My point was simply that the prices being floated are indeed in line with current market prices, notwithstanding the fact that sometimes we're lucky enough to find them cheaper. Those finds are the exceptions and not the rule.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:05 PM

I guess I am finding it hard to believe these CMP 1911's might be going for $1000
I suppose I am just spoiled.
Just the same I will buy at least one because it will be a CMP 1911.

Last edited by BlackTulip109; 06-10-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
To you sir!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
I don't follow markets etc
I think you have your answer.
Pretty much this. If there was a glut of them on the market it would be less, but it's not the case these days.
Closed Thread